remington 700

bob lajoie

Inactive
first off harly's institute of firearms research refered me here for an answer.

a co worker has a remington 700 bdl
vintage 1970-1980.
It was used two weeks ago,working fine
until the action started to stiffen up while
loading a round and un loading a spent shell.
Now the chamber is empty and the bolt handle will only slightly lift up. Forcing excessively does no good the action will not open. It is not rusted shut he saw to that.
If you have any experience with a rifle
problem as this what did you do to remedy the situation. Visual aids would be great also.
thanks in advance
Action will not open ,

My first thought is to take the action out of the stock and spray the heck out of it with a good penetrant (I usually recommend G96 Gun Treatment, but any good one will do).

At the same time, check to see if there is any obvious problem, like something stuck in the action. Then, if still no results, I can only suggest taking it to a gunsmith.

Was the rifle fired with any hot reloads that might have expanded the bolt head? It takes a lot to do that, but it can be done.

Also make sure to tell the smith if anyone played with the action/trigger, etc.

Jim

How about disassembling the bolt and cleaning it? Betcha it's got lots of accumulated oil film which will play havoc on your action. Remington has a simple tool which costs about $8 (better than the old "dime" method).

Bob, I don't believe the bolt or the receiver dimensions changed either. I think something solid; piece of brass etc has gotten lodged in the bolt raceways. Try gently tapping the bolt open with a plastic or rawhide mallet and remove the bolt. Then clean out the receiver and see if it still resists moving. If so take it to your local smith. George

Back