Remington 700 vs Steyr SBS

Svt

Remington 700 .308win bull barrel verses a Steyr SBS .308win
Which rifle do you think is more accurate?

In my expereience with Remingtons and Steyrs, individual guns will display more differences than the brands do. Overall, the Steyr is easier to shoot well because it has a MUCH better trigger. If you go to an aftermarket trigger on the Remington, I doubt you'll see any real difference between the two. Both are perfectly capable of 1/2-3/4 MOA with loads they like.

I'd agree with the above. Just buy (or even have adjusted) the Remington trigger, and you'll likely have the equal or better of the Steyr. The Rem 700 is about as well made as any factory gun, given some trigger tinkering.

I have experience w/ both of these systems. I prefer the Remington platform. It has proven to be a robust, accurate, and user friendly rifle. My Steyr(a SSG69) on the other hand was a real piece of junk. I could not get this thing to group for the life of me. And another thing is the chamber. The Remington will group any type of ammo fed to it. The Steyr's chamber is set to higher tolerances, and will only use match ammo. I prefer a weapon system that will adapt to what is available, which my Remington will do. No matter if it is PMC match in the red and white box or Federal Gold Match it performs. My Remington built rifle shoots with the accuracy I expect from a custom gun. I found the Steyr to be uncomfortable and it felt strange. The Remington is an old friend that is capable of accuracy beyond most peoples skills. I'm sure the Steyr is a nice gun, but I will be more than happy with my Remington.

Be Safe
Mike

Well, Styer is an old company with a good reputation, wartime production not withstanding. Austria has been using Styer sniper rifles for years with no problems out to 600 meters. On the other hand, both the Marines and finally the Army are using Remington actions in the M-40A1 and the M-24. A lot of major police departments are also using the Remington 700 action in a lot of their rifles as well so that tends to say something about their popularity. If spare parts and service are a consideration, I would say Remington hands down. Personally, I stick with the Remington.

i took the masters class at gunsite 3 weeks ago and there were 9 styer sbs scout rifles there.they all shot reasonably well and mags funtion like a dream.however ther were at least 4 that had cronic problems with lite primer stikes.after adjusting the firing pins 3 of them worked much better but the one still had lite primer stikes.also it was found that the sbs would go off prematurly if the safty was not perfectly in the middle postion or rear position..this seems like a design defect.i hope the people at styer do something about this and fast.

if your thinking about the remington dont get the detachable mags.they are pure junk.if i got the slightest bit af dirt or mud they just quit working.get the bdl with this hinged floorplate or spend the $600 dollar price tag for the m1a conversion at robar.

I used the M24SWS in the service. I guess the grass just looked greener on the other side with the Steyr. I'll stick with what I'm familiar with, the Remington. Thanks for your help guys.

Back