Remington 700 VLS vs. 700 XCR Tactical Long Range:

Sturdyman

Inactive
Hello All,

Its me again the new guy. I was dead set on Savage but after a trip to a local gunsmith I am looking at Remington options. Just might purchase the 700 SPS Tactical. This will be an all weather gun for the range and hunting. For my 2nd rifle I am considering the 700 VLS or the XCR Tactical Long Range.

This 2nd rifle would be for target 200 to 600 yards but I do not want to be tied down to a bench. I have always wanted a wood or wood like stock and forearm on a rifle. The VLS is heavy and would not be taken into the field just a range gun. The XCR Tactical Long Range is from what I can see a longer version of the SPS Tactical. Since I am new to the rifle keeping things relatively the same may be a good thing. I do understand both rifles would have to be adjusted by the smithy (bedding, accurizing, etc).

Remember I am new to this sport. Please explain your choices so that I will have the knowledge to make an informed decision. This 2nd purchase will not be until July or August after I get use to the ranges in Maryland.

My brother and I are having a ball with clays and want to expand. :D

Oh, I forgot any choice would be in the .308 caliper. The reason for this is purely economy.

Thank you all in advance.

They are pretty much the same rifle, just different stocks... I have a VLS in .308, my son has an SPS in .308. The only difference I have seen is the stock. They are both quite accurate.

Thank you for your reply FWB.

The VLS is $500 cheaper than the XCR TLR. Both are similar in weight and length. The extra $500 could be put in a very good trigger or a better scope. We are planning on using a Millett TRS1 for the SPS Tactical. I would like to get a Nightforce scope for the next purchase. Again this second rifle would be for long range work.

I owned an XCR Tactical Long Range in 308, and it was the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. It was a solid .5 MOA rifle from day one. It shot better than a 5R MilSpec I bought after, believe it or not. The XCR TLR has an aluminum bedding block in the B&C stock, so bedding it is unnecessary, and with the 40X trigger I didn't feel the need to change it out either. The 40X trigger when adjusted properly broke at 2 lbs, clean. It beat the snot out of my 5R's X-Mark pro trigger, which to me is just junk.

I really liked the stock on the XCR TLR and I miss that rifle alot, I don't care so much for the Hogue that's on the SPS Tactical.

VLS Experience

The pic I hopefully successfully attached is from a month ago. Right at 2.5 inch 5 shot group at 400 yards with my VLS. It's not a 308 tho. 22-250. Love the gun. It's never shot over a 1 inch group at 100 even in bad conditions.

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 84
I have SPS Varmint .308 that I got from Dicks it shot pretty good with the cheap tupper ware stock, but I replaced it with a Choate Tactical stock and now I can get 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups if I do my part. I was in dicks the other day and they had these guns on sale for $399.99. The barreled action is worth more than that. With all that being said right now I am eyeing the Thompson Center Ikon for my next hunting rig.

I have the Remington 700 VLS in .223. It's a great rifle in every way except for one....it has an 8 pound trigger pull. The lawyers got hold of the design and totally ruined it. It LOVES 55 grain bullets and I've fired it in many 200 and 600 yard matches.

I have a Timney trigger for the rifle but have not installed it yet. That should cure the only issue I have with the it.

The stock on this rifle is a beautiful piece of work!

Flash

For what you want i would choose the SPS tactical and upgrade on it as you go. Bed it in a better stock, M40A1 ADJ HTG would be my choice that way you get mobility with it. The SPS tactical would give you the best of both worlds IMO great for long range shooting yet light enough to carry hunting.

I also have a VLS in .223 and when I do my part the rifle will put 5 rounds one on top of the other at 100 yards. At 200 yards I have a 4 shot group that is 1/2" would have been a 5 shot groups but was out of ammo due to sighting in at 100 yards. Mine also likes the 55 grain bullet but mine is old enough to come with the "Walker" trigger which I had set by a gunsmith to 2 lbs. The only other thing I did to it was free float the barrel.

Back