Remington 700 Varmit VS

44LEVER

Inactive
I'm looking at this rifle real serious. What I need to make a lifelong committment toward this little jewel is information. I know that the 700 is one of the best in history but what about the newer models? How about the new X-Mark trigger? The 1-12 twist rate? Stock issues. Action issues? There will hopefully be some custom work down the road but for now I need info. Thanks in advance

I think the 700 SPS Tactical is a better rifle. Comes with a better stock, better twist rate for .223, and has better balance. It does have a shorter barrel but I'll take accuracy and balance any day over long and unwieldy. I actually like the X-Mark Pro trigger for a factory offering. It breaks well and adjustments are easy as you don't have to remove the gun from the stock. Perhaps an aftermarket trigger when money becomes available would be nice but it's good for a factory offering. Overall I think the Tactical is one of the better rifles Remington has released. I can't say the same for some of the guns that come with cheap tupperware. I can't stand shouldering a rifle that feels cheap. But that's just me.

I guess i could have said that I'm looking at the .308. Would I loose enough velocity with 20" compared to 26" to make that much difference? Would the shorter barrel be that much more rigid?

I have the 700 ADL Varmint in 308 with 26" barrel. With my handloads I get .59moa, with Remington 150gr Core Lokt PSP I get .65moa. Not to shabby with the factory stock.

I have a 700 VS LH purchase new about 5 or 6 years ago. It's a good enough rifle that I will not consider trading or selling it. It is currently wearing a Weaver V series mil dot. Sub MOA is no problem at 200 yards. It even shoots cast pretty well.

The velocity lost from 20" to 26" is minimal. I have a savage .308 with a 20" barrel that shoots 150grain bullets at 2950fps. How fast would they go out of a 26" barrel? Maybe, and this is a huge maybe, 3100fps. A more likely number is 3025. Why? Because the .308 has a finite ammount of powder capacity and it's actually rather small. If we were talking about a .300 win mag I'd say the 26" barrel would actually get you more velocity because of the increased powder capacity and the ability to shoot slower burning powders. .308 generally shoots powders with moderate burn rates. From my experimentation going much over 22" doesn't gain much velocity if any at all. The SPS tactical is a proven shooter and one of the most accurate out fo the box rifles on the market today. I know several people that shoot .3" groups and under at 100 yards with handloads and they haven't changed the gun. All they have done is work up custom loads tuned to the gun. However, if you feel driven to purchase a gun with a 26" barrel then go for it.

The general guideline is about -75 fps per inch of barrel cut off. That's making a lot of assumptions about powder burning rates, but it should be fairly close.

Back