Remington 700 upgrades

4whln

This is crazy. I haven't even got my gun yet, and I'm already thinking about all the things I can do to it to upgrade it. These are the things I've been thinking about:

Harris HBLMS Bipod
Ross Thumbhole Pepper Laminate stock
Timney Trigger
Limbsaver Recoil Pad

What do y'all think of these items and are they worth the money?

Also, who is the best low-price online supplier for gun upgrades?

Last edited:
"Up-grades"?
Well the very best up-grades you can do are as follows;
#1 Free float the barrel.
#2 Glass bed the action to make sure the bedding is perfect.
#3 Adjust the trigger if necessary.
#3 USE ALL OTHER AVAILABLE MONEY TO BUY BULLETS POWDER PRIMERS A ND SOME BRASS. Use that ammo to shoot and shoot and shoot until the riles becomes a part of you.

Buying 'goodies' is poor economy in comparison to learning to shoot really well. All the best shots you will meet who can truly use their rifles (without a bench under them) learn to shoot and most of them don't have any gadgets at all.
Just skill.

I'm thinking I'm glad I won't have to lug that rifle ! You are going to add about 3 # to it , those laminated thumbhole stocks weigh a ton . A smith can fix the trigger that you have . Your new 700 should have an R-3 pad already on it ( Limbsaver ) . Shoot it , and get it broken in before you make any " upgrades " . As the old saying goes " if it ain't broke , don't fix it " can be applied here . Save your money for ammo , try several different loads .

What should the trigger be adjusted to? This is actually not a new rifle I'm getting, so it doesn't have a recoil pad on it.

Do you plan to only shoot it from the bench or are you going to hunt with it? I like 3 lbs for hunting rifles, target/varmint rifles I'm not afraid to get down to mere ounces. Remington triggers can be adjusted by a gunsmith for far less than the cost of a new trigger.

4whln said:
What should the trigger be adjusted to? This is actually not a new rifle I'm getting, so it doesn't have a recoil pad on it.

The triger might not need to be adjusted. Last January I bought a used Rem700 ADL in .308. I don't know if the trigger has been stoned or if it came from the factory, but it breaks clean at about 4 lbs. Perfect for my purposes.

k511 said:
Scope????
There's a good idea.

@k511, the gun shop I'm going through has my scope in stock, so I'll pick it up when I get the gun. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF.

A Timney trigger is a good idea, a Jewell trigger may be a better idea depending on your intended use.

Limbsaver recoil pads are very soft and do not like solvents. Same with Kick-Eez pads. I know Pachmayers are not as cushy, but they will last longer and work very well.

A thumbhole stock is cool, if that's what you want, but why not buy the Rem 700 VLSS that comes with a laminated thumbhole stock?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-vl-ss-thumbhole.aspx

Bipods are not one of my favorite things, but I understand that some people love them. If you want a bipod get a good one.

And put good glass on it.

Beside Jewell there is Shilen and they make a nice trigger for the Rem
http://www.shilen.com/pricesTriggers.html them make two models.

I'm not sure what type rest you have or how much you plan on shooting at a rifle range might be better than bipod if that what your going to use it for.

For stocks you can go here good price ww.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront You might be able to find a remington factory wood stock here at a good price http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I'm not much into replacing pads I'd just as soon spend the money and get a good stock that is either pillar bedded or has bedding block. If your not into B&C or McMillian stocks etc want wood with bedding blocks you can go here there "In Stocks" are not a bad price http://www.accurateinnovations.com/.

You might be better to shoot the rifle first see how you like it. Well good luck

well this is just my personal opinion that never seems to count for much but it would probably be best to shoot the gun before you upgrade it. if you do the upgrades beforehand then you have no idea how the base model is supposed to perform and what modifications made the most difference. a good recoil pad is a given and is perfectly fine to put on right off the bat but things like the match triggers and free floated thumbhole stocks are more advanced level modifications that should only be added once you've established the maximum level of accuracy you are capable of shooting with that rifle. then I would recommend adding mods one at a time(preferably the trigger first since that will give you the greatest accuracy increase within 500 yards)

There is nothing wrong with a tuned Remington factory trigger. As far as the poundage, thats up to you and your gunsmith but if it is a new trigger I like to set it about half a pound heavier than what I want to allow for wearing in.

What model Remington is it anyway?

I don't find it crazy to think of all the things you can do with your new rifle, with so many aftermarket parts it's hard not to think about it. IMHO that is one of the nice things about the 700, you can buy a low end WalMart ADL and over time end up with a really nice look, better shooting gun.

I will use my last jeep as an example:

Bought a four year old (04)Jeep Rubicon manual hard top.

Made myself a deal, no drive train or suspension "upgrades" for six months...

Wheeled the snot out it all over the Island of Oahu for two years with out a single modification, I just traded it, mod free, for an 08 Rubicon and made myself the same deal.

Just for kicks, my Remington 700 SPS has a bushnell elite, a Harris bipod, and a sling. She shoots sub-MOA so I really dont need all the goodies for her at this time. Will I in the future probably as I am moving out west soon and may need to squeeze as much out of her as possible.

Kaylorinhi

I'll probably just put a scope on it, and leave it for a while. But I have wanted a gun with a thumbhole stock for a long time so that will probably be the first thing I change. Thanks for all the input.

I have a remington LTR that I added a Timney trigger and a harris Bipod. I prefer the Benchrest model (6-9) inch. The new remingtons have the xmark pro trigger which is pretty nice...

I forgot to tell y'all earlier, but I bought an older model Rem. 700 in .270, so it doesn't have the x-mark trigger.

Back