Remington 700 stock question

I just bought a Rem. 700 SPS varmit rifle in .308 Cal. I really need to replace the factory pos stock, but after buying the rifle, nikon scope and all the reloading dies and other gear, I can't afford to put out 200-300 more for a better stock.
I did find a factory VLS stock takeoff for a good price. Anyone have any experience with this stock?
Thanks VERY much to any and everyone for any suggestions.

I do not have a VLS, but I do have several rifles with similar laminated stocks. They are sturdy and stable for shooting. IMO, a laminated stock is infinitely preferable to a flexible injection molded stock.

Good article, Haley. A sub .75" shooter out of the box ain't bad.

I have a VLS in .308 but I changed out the laminated stock for a PSP stock. I only use it for hunting and I thought the Laminate stock was a little bright. I have taken a couple of decent hogs with it. No loss in accuracy...

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I did have a Boyds stock ordered back in Aug. Was supposed to be ready first week in Sept. then it was the middle of Sept, then it was going to be sometime in Oct. Got a call about 3days ago, Maybe they will have one ready sometime next year. I was told that Boyds, at this time has no stock for a Rem.700 BDL Heavy barrel short action.
Again thanks to everyone for the help, Guess I will try the VLS stock and see how it does, anything has to be better than the factory stock.

I have a VLS in .223 and after free floatimg the barrel it bacame a sub-moa rifle. The stock is very stable but does add a little weight over a composite stock. All in all I love this rifle.

The VLS stock is a good stock that should work just fine. They are a lot heavier than I prefer, but in a Varmit rifle it is less of a concern.

You don't say what good price is, but if you can get a Boyd's stock for less I think either would be just as good. I strongly suspect Boyd's probably makes the factory laminated stocks for Remington anyway.

If it were me I'd live with the factory stock until I could afford to make a real upgrade. I'd go www.hsprecision.com or www.mcmfamily.com

I'll second Stocky's and Bell&Carlson. Dropped my SPS-V into one of the Medalist A3's. Excellent stock. I think it was around $230 shipped. It certainly made an instant difference.

Back