Remington 700 sps varmit VS. Savage 12fvss VS. Savage 10fp???

DubC-Thompson

Remington 700 sps varmit VS. Savage 12fvss

Im Planning on buying a rifle for long range shooting. I have it narrowed down to two rifles.... the Remington 700 SPS varmit with a 26 inch HEavy barrel 1:12 twist, or the Savage 12fvss with a 26 inch heavy barrel and 1:10 twist. Im going to get the rifle in .308 caliber. I Know that alot of smiths work on the 700, but i was wondering what rifle would be better for long range shooting (600 to 1000 yards). If anyone has any experiance with either of these rifles id appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
The Savage 12VFSS. It has the longer barrel for more FPS and retained energy at long distance and is the most accurite rifle available.
Call Scottt @ 208-313-1570, www.savagegunsmithing.com
He does an outstanding accurizing job on the Savage rifles for a very good price for all the work he does.
I think he will get you the rifle at cost if he does his accuracy package.
The other real advantage to the Savage is that if you shoot out the barrel or want a higher quality barrel put on, it's much cheaper to change barrels on the Savage than any other rifle.
Savage quality has been going up, while other are going down.
Scott just did an accuracy package for a guy with a custom barrel.
The rifle shoots consistant five shot groups of 1/2" or less at 250 yards.
I know of no other gunsmith who builds rifles that accurite.
Scott is a true Master Riflesmith, there are very few left.
I should add that I'm a retired Gunsmith and have seen a lot of smiths and their work. Scott is a perfectionest. His turn around time is prety good also. He has two other very good gunsmiths that work for him full time, but scott insists on doing all of the Machine work on every rifle to insure the best quality. He also has the largest number of customs stocks available and converts right hand Savage rifles to left hand for the rifles not available to southpaws, and does many custom calibers on the Savage that are not available, including bigger rounds that need the bolt head opened up.
He also guarentees all his work.
He almost always has two racks of Savage rifles waiting for his accuracy job.

Best Regards, John K

Last edited:
I too would vote for the 12fvss, but any of them should be a great rifle for you. The Savages would probably be more accurate than the Remington right out of the box, but there really is no guarantee on that.

As mentioned, it's pretty easy to rebarrel Savage rifles and many forum members have had great success doing so. Search for Shooter_John and his .30-06. That's the first one that comes to mind.

Well thanks ndking1126...
My 30-06 is listed in post #49 of this thread (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321412&highlight=savage+30+06&page=2). And I should mention that it is the only Savage still in my safe. I have switched back to Remingtons primarily, though I will likely try and build a Savage 300 mag of some sort later down the road. I know it is rare, but both of my out of the box Remingtons out shoot the other two out of the box Savages that I had. (a 10FP in 223 and a 12FVSS in 308).

FWIW, my R700 SPS SS in .308 Win shoots to 0.75" with FGMM w/ 168gr SMK and to <0.6" with my handloads. My Savage 116 FSHAK shoots to ~0.75" with FGMM w/ 168gr SMK.

Both are wonderful rifles and both wear Zeiss Conquests in 3-9x40 w/ Rapid Z600 reticles.

Tough to go wrong with either marque.

FH

No problem, John. I recently bought a Stephens 200 in .223 I'm working on. You PM'ed me some advice on the subject long ago and finally had the change to get started around Christmas :D

Either rifle would be a good shooter. I recently shot the 12 BVSS and the 700 SPS. The 700 shot better. I, personally , was having a poor day shooting(it does happen with alarming regularity) but my neighbor took two shots with the 700 and put them in the practically the same hole at 200. (1/16" difference)

Savage is good, but then when you upgrade to aftermarket there is no comparison. It's the same thing you see at professional matches and in the military, R700 98% of the time. There is a good reason for this.

Savage won me over

I was a die-hard Remington guy for years. I decided to get back in to prairie dog hunting after a 15 year break and needed to get a rifle. I looked long and hard at everything out there. I decide, against my friends advice, to go with a savage low profile varminter in 204 ruger. I liked it so much, I bought another one. They are great shooters. I don't think the accutrigger is the best thing out there, but it is good enough for me. I then decided to buy a coyote hunting rifle. What did I buy? Another savage. This one was a model 11 in 243. My first home load got me a .317" group. I was so happy with that group that I naturally had to buy the same thing in 30-06 so I could hunt deer with it. As I figured, the 30-06 shot around 3/4" groups with barnes 150 grain tipped bullets. I love Savage. They used to have really flimsy stocks, which is why I never got one, but now with the accustock, they really kick tail. My remington buddies have taken notice. Sometimes you have to go against the grain and do what your gut tells you. Who cares what everyone else thinks. I now have 4 solid rifles that I'm really happy with. My only problem now is what is next. Probably a 308 tactical rig.

My soldier son has a 26" barreled SPS that shoots < 1" @ 200 yards. Extreemly accurate. Appears to be a bit more accurate than my VTR. Both are .308.

I now have 4 solid rifles that I'm really happy with. My only problem now is what is next. Probably a 308 tactical rig.

Actually your problem will be if you try to go aftermarket your going to be scratching the back of your head.

Tachunter,

If you get 3/10" groups and 3/4" groups from the factory with the rifle why in the world would you want to go aftermarket : )

Savage rules! I love my 12FV

I dont really see any professionals shooting to be honest with you. But from the videos I see online the majority of the guns are remington 700. There has to be an underlying reason for that though (I doubt it is customization)

Back