Remington 700 SPS Varmint versus Remington 700P

golfnutrlv

Hello all, just a thought occured to me. Been looking at the Remington 700 series in .308 for target/fun shooting, and some long range work.

I realize there are differences between the two rifles, stock, barrel quality etc.

My question is, for those who own both, have owned/shot both, or just know the answer:
HOW MUCH BETTER, IF AT ALL, IS THE 700P's BARREL QUALITY OVER THE 700SPS VARMINT????

They are the same length and twist rate, and are supposed to be free floated.

Thoughts?? Ideas??

Thanks everyone.

SPS vs P

My thought is that there is NO difference P vs SPS. Remington knows
how to make a barrel. I have and have had many M700 Remington
rifles over the years. I have never seen one that would not shoot
very well when the basics are proper. Glass bedded, barrel floated,
trigger adjusted or replaced.

I have the M700 SPS below in 243 Winchester. All I've done is pillar
bed the stock (which I do to all bolt guns) and changed out the
trigger. This rifle will shoot 105 grain A-max bullets in less than 1/2
MOA. Heck of a nice target rifle on the cheap. I paid more for
the scope on this rig than I did the rifle.

But I think the P model is also a good deal. The H-S stock is great.
I have a couple of the 20 inch barrel LTR model rifles and love them.
I think it is a worthy upgrade. My LTR in 6.8 SPC is below as well.
(Basically same as P model with a 20 inch barrel). This is also a sub
1/2 minute gun. I have had at least 10 varmint model M700 rifles
over the years and they would all shoot at least a half minute for 5
shots after a little tuning and load work.

But you should not worry about Remington barrels. Very good quality
for the money. SPS is a bargain.

dxr

M700SPS243.jpg

M700-68SPC.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever quality difference there is between the two hasn't kept mine from being accurate. The P seems to have a better stock out of the box, and is bedded in that stock vs the plastic bit that came on my SPS. However the SPS was cheap enough that I put an aftermarket stock on it...

Both are good rifles.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Your realy paying $300 for a new stock. I can find lots of nice stocks down the road for less than $300.

As far as I can tell, they are the same barrel, though have not actually shot one.

The Remington guy I talked to said all their barrels and actions are the same and picked at random and assembled to various stocks. I bought the HS Precision stock and ended up putting the SPS stock back on. The HS made the gun too fat for me. The SPS stock has a thinner grip. The difference in accuracy didn't matter enough to worry about. I mainly shoot groundhogs and foxes and it's plenty accurate for that out of the box.

Last edited:
There is no difference in the qualty of the barrels it's the stocks that are different anyone who says otherwise please site your sources.

Yeah its pretty much just the stock thats different between the 2 rifles but i have to say i love the HS stock that comes on the 700p, dont think i'd ever switch it out.

Same exact receiver and barrel. it is just the stock that is different. The 700P comes in a HS Precision stock. That's it. Only difference..

Go over to the Snipers Hide forums. They have a for sale area, and you will be able to buy the HS stock from someone who has upgraded their rifle, If that is the stock you want.

The 700P sports a great stock out of the door. However, I knew it wasn't for me. Thus - it made more sense to buy the lower-priced SPS Varmint.

Only difference is the stock... My SPS is way better when it comes to group size than either my personal 700P or the one that I am issued by the county. I used the extra money a P would have cost me and put it towards a Manners T4 stock. It is hands down the best shooting 308 I've ever pulled the trigger on.

After buying a VTR with the same stock...SPS must stand for sh&^%y plastic stock lol...I replaced mine asap with a B&C lite tactical stock and i'm quite happy with it now. Its a shame Hogue didnt put a bedding block in it and make it rigid, as its a nice looking stock.

Back