remington 700 sps tactical ammo

den9

Inactive
im looking to buy a 700 sps tactical and want some feedback from people who OWN this rifle.

I know the difference between 224 and 556, i read it 1000x. im just curious if anyone here has ran 556 through their remington 700 and what results they had. i want to run cheap ammo through this gun, what seems to be the most accurate from a 1:9 twist with a 20 inch barrel that isnt match grade? seems like most bulk ammo is 55 grain, anyone have any experience with ultramax 62 grain?

I own the 700 SPS in .223 and I wouldn't recommend running 5.56 ammo through it. You say you know the difference then that means you know the 5.56 is too high pressure for your rifle and could lead to bad things. If you want to shoot on the cheap I either suggest you invest in a simple hand-loading setup or get a good gunsmith to re-chamber your rifle to 5.56 or .223 Wylde. You will arguably be giving up some accuracy re-chambering from a .223 to 5.56, and supposedly the .223 Wylde will let you shoot both while maintaining .223 chamber accuracy. My 700 in .223 is far more accurate than any 5.56 rifle I own, but that is apples to oranges as all my 5.56 rifles are semi-autos. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply, .223 it is, still cheap enough.

what ammo do you use? i think im going to going with a 62 grain match grade and 55 grain for plinking

Back