Remington 700 SPS question!?

bjones870

I have a Remington 700 SPS, I've yet to take it to the range. So my question is, what kind of groups can I expect from the rifle? My friend told me that my rifle, stock, shoots 3" groups? What is your experience?

3" at.............. 400 yards....LOL!!!! With a good scope, I suspect you will be pleased.

Last edited:
I had a Remington 770 (supposedly the scourge, scum, bottom of the barrel Remington) and it shot just over 1 inch groups right out of the box, direct from Wally World even with me behind the trigger. Therefore I think you will be very pleased with your 700 sps:D

Mine is factory stock in 308 and the best group is .5 but it will consistently group under 1" at 100m off a bench.

Around 1" with good ammo. Don't be disappointed if it isn't that good at first either. Most new guns need a few rounds through the barrel before they settle down and start shooting up to their potential. You may have to experiment with several bullet weights and brands to find what shoots best in your rifle as well.

I have a Remington SPS Varmint in .22-250 that out of the box shot without any special break in at an average of 0.684 with factory ammo (all 55 grain bullets) for a total of 18 measured groups. It shot Nosler Trophy Grade Ballistic Tips to an average of 0.542 for 6 groups.

Then I started reloading for it and it got a whole lot better once I found what velocities and weights it liked. It seems to have a preference for Reloader 15.
It now has averaged well under 0.5 inches with 6 different loads at 52 and 55 grains and one at 40 grains.

If you find the ammo your rifle likes, it should shoot just like the Remington 700s people brag about.

Here are five targets I recently shot at 100 yds with three of my Rem 700 rifles. All are unmodified, as they came from the box, but set up with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scopes.

This first target is one I shot with my Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 Win. This is one of my go-to hunting rifles that I was benchmarking with Federal Gold Medal Match.

sc015dceb7.jpg

This second target is the same rifle with one of my hunting loads (I hand load for almost all my shooting).

sc015d6646.jpg

BTW, this rifle was sighted in 2" high at 100 yes for my 150 gr loads.

sc015d1472.jpg

The fourth target is from my Rem 700 SPS Varmint, also in .308, also with FGMM. This was my sight in session, first 3 rounds after two fouling rounds.

sc015db3d2.jpg

The fifth target is a 5-shot group with my Rem 700 XHR in .25-06. I rested the horizontal cross hair on the prairie poodle's leg (the white curve) and shot for the center of mass, as I do when hunting dogs.

sc00862471.jpg

Despite what you read on many boards, Remmy makes a heckuva product. These three rifles range from 3 years old to 3 months old.

FH

PS- I do practice a fair amount...the benefits of being retired, albeit slightly elderly at 66.

Last edited:
If that gun shoots 3 in groups at 100 try slowing your truck down under 50 mph.....LOL I have a sps in 204 and with factory loads get under an inch!!! If you are expecting 3 in groups at 100 you will be extatic when you take it to the range!!

700 SPS

I do not own this weapon but I would invite you to view this You Tube Video. These two gentlemen are ringing the gong at 1000+ yards with the 700 SPS. I was in the market for a long range shooter not to long ago and came upon this video; impressive to say the least. I don't think you will go wrong with this weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsllVJdml2k

i just picked one up in december.first time out i was very impressed with the box of remington 150g core loc and very very unimpressed with the winchester super x. i might as well have brought my shot gun. i have started developing my own load over the last two weeks. i went and shot them yesterday and when i did my part i was seeing well under an inch. once i replace the stock, pillar bed it, and put the harris bipod on it i expect to see some improvement.

Back