Remington 700 SPS or Savage 111?

Remington 700 SPS or Savage 111?

• Remington 700 SPS

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Savage 111

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

Barr

I am looking for my first centerfire rifle of my own. The gun will be used for a little recreational shooting, deer hunting, and just as an all round rifle. I plan to load for this gun. I have set my heart on the Winchester .270 cartridge is a bolt action rifle. I have looked in several pawn shops and have see some nice guns but they were all overpriced (as in I can get the same new rifle for 50-100 dollars more).

Which would you recommend the Remington 700 SPS or the Savage 111?. The Remington SPS rifle is supposed to have the same built in features as the regular 700? Any thoughts or personal experience with either?

I always recommend the Remington over the Savage. Savages shoot great, but look awful. Remingtons shoot good and look good, too.

I generally put function over appearance, but that's just me. The Savages are racking up an enviable reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy, especially with the AccuTrigger. I hear the Remingtons are a little more likely to need gunsmith attention to get best accuracy these days, but that is just what I hear. I have no hard information to back it up. I have usually had the experience that factory service will correct actual accuracy problems for free. Fine tuning beyond that will be on your dime.

In the end, you will likely be satisfied by either gun, so my approach to the decision would be to go to the gun store and handle both. Pick out a security camera or other object near the ceiling and quickly bring the rifle up to point at it. See which one seems to fit you more naturally and points better and holds steadier without a lot of thought going into it? This will depend on your individual anatomy. Try the triggers. See which seems easier to control as defined by being able to snap it without disturbing the rifle's position.

Those are the things I would look at. If it's all a wash, then you might consider weight. The lighter of the two will be easier to carry in the woods, while the heavier of the two will tend to hold a little better in target shooting. After that, you are down to price and esthetics.

Nick

Does anyone know the history of the SPS rifle? As in I know it came from the ADL synthetic version of the rifle but does anyone know anything else about it?

The SPS is the new version of the ADL. The SPS is basically a BDL with a synthetic stock, and a bead blasted finish. It has the same bottom metal as the BDL.

Save the money and get a Savage. Besides, mine came with a 2lb. trigger pull even though it's self adjustable and I've been shooting it right out of the box since I got it. :)

If you are buying the rifle to look at, buy the Remington. If you are buying a rifle to resell shortly, perhaps the Remington is the better buy. If you are buying the rifle to shoot, and shoot well, buy the Savage and put the savings in good glass. Beauty is as beauty does.

Having said that, have to admit, the only Remington high power rifle I ever owned was a 40XC target rifle. The 40 XC is a mod. 700 action built in Rem. custom shop especially for cross the coarse NRA competition shooting. The very first round fired from this (rather expensive) rifle was a FORS (fire on release of safety). Fortunately, the rifle was pointed in a safe direction when I pushed the safety off (finger no where near trigger), as the rifle fired. It was an extremely accurate rifle, as one would expect from this grade of rifle, but could have bought three Savages for what the 40XC sells for.

Remington has since had a recall on their 700's and hopefully have corrected this safety problem. Haven't heard much about the problem for some time, so it would seem they have.

The Savage has a three position safety and the accutrigger is user adjustable. My FP10 came set at 2.5# from the factory. Can't beat the Savage IMHO.

Regards,
hps

I would recommend that you go to your range and bum a couple of shots and some handling time with as many rifles as you can. Make an offer to pay for rounds fired. Then you can make an informed decision based on your personal preferences.

IMO the SPS is as ugly as the Savage. Keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Keep looking at used guns in gun shops and pawn shops. Try to find a gun in good condition with a good scope; you can get a really good deal if the gun comes with a good scope.

If you buy new, you can't go wrong with either choice. Personally, I'd go with Remington, but I'd save a little more money and buy a CDL. Go to a gun shop and put the SPS and the 111 on the counter. Then compare them to the CDL -- you'll see what I mean. ;)

Spend $50.00 to have a Smith lighten the trigger. It'll be worth it.

Back