Remington 700 sps 22-250 vs 308

Ultra12

i see there is a sale in dicks on Remington 700. besides the recent issue that they been having i hear they are great guns. i want to shoot at the range (200 + yards) and my hunting 30-06 gets too hot. since sps is a bull barrel and the heat should not be a problem. Now i have to decide what caliber. 22-250 vs 308. can people share their experiences with both rounds. pros / cons.

You have two excellent choices.

I have a Remington 700P in .308 that will shoot better than 1/2 minute with handloads.

I have an older 700 BDL 22-250 that will do the same thing.

My pet load for the 22-250 is a 52gr. SMK bullet and 38gr. H380.
My pet load for the .308 is either 168gr. or 175 gr. SMK and 43.6 gr. BLC(2).

Both loads in my rifles are just about perfect.

The cartridge you choose should be based on your anticipated use.

In the best scenario, get one of each.

Geetarman:D

if its just going to be target shooting i would go with the 22-250, but if you decide you want to hunt with it then i would go with the 308. a remington or savage 308 is in my future. im leaning towards the remington becouse ive had a few in the past and really like them.

i already got 30-06 for hunting. i was looking for 243 but 700 only comes in 223, 22-250 and 308. so i guess 22-250 it is. my buddy just got one ill see what he sais

I have one of the Cabela's SPS specials - a varmint model in .22-250, and love it:<3/4" with any factory ammo I've tried. Plus, Cabela's are stainless action/barrel (mine; blue also available) and BDL; arguably more gun for the money. Also come in the standard stock.

since sps is a bull barrel and the heat should not be a problem
Huh? All a bull barrel will get you is a slower rise to a hot barrel. Once it's hot, it'll stay hot longer. Bull barrels are not magical heat dissipation devices - in fact, just the opposite is true. It takes more rounds to get them hot, but once they're hot, they'll take much longer to cool.

If you already have a .30-06 but don't have a Model 700 .30-06 your missing out. My remmy .30-06 will shoot .5 inch groups at 200yds. with factory remington express core-lockt ammo :D

308 get you a heavier, (3 times the weight) more stable bullet. Shooting in any wind, the 308 gets the nod.

22-250s are notorious about wearing out barrels with heavy use. Will you ever shoot it enough for that to be a concern?

200 yards is not a long shot and either caliber will be accurate enough at that range. I shoot my 308 out to 400-600 yards pretty regularly and I feel like I could work out more distance with practice. Is a 22 cal bullet going to be able to do that? Well, some will say yes, some will say no.

308 gives you the possibility of being able to hunt most North American game, but it's a bit heavy for prairie dogs. Please don't try a 22 cal on big game.

The 22-250 is a bit more 'efficient' and uses a bit less powder and a slightly less expensive bullet. That matters if you handload, but not if you buy off the shelf ammo.

The 308 suits my needs for target shooting and gives me the versatility of being a great deer rifle. You just have to ask yourself what your real needs will be.

Depending on the number of rounds you go through, the .22-250 will cause the chamber throat to erode much quicker than the .308.

You can load the .308 down with lighter bullets, but with most .22-250's the barrel twist (1-14" or 1-12") is not fast enough to stabilize heavier .224 bullets, such as 75-80 grains bullets.

As to the bull barrels, I have a bull barrel which may be the ultimate in bull barrels; a Browning .30 caliber machine gun barrel mounted on a Mauser action, and chambered in .30-06. It stays cool a bit longer, but when it gets hot, it stays hot longer. It's about 1.25" in diameter at the muzzle. You always have to pace your shots.

i was looking for 243 but 700 only comes in 223, 22-250 and 308.

I just bought a Remington 700 .243. I am afraid you are mistaken. Try here.

I like to use Federal's ballistics program to get a quick idea of what I can expect out of factory loads. The program is free and can be downloaded from their website. It lets you do side by side ballistics comparisons. Here is the link.

Last edited:
I just bought a Remington 700 .243. I am afraid you are mistaken.
Just guessing, but I'll bet he's just thinking of the ones in stock at his local Dick's. Obviously the 700 series is available in many more calibers.

I bought the 700ADL Varmint the I bought at Dick's last November. Incredible rifle and a helluva deal at $419 after the Remington rebate. right now I am getting under .60moa with my handload of a 168gr SMK over 42grs of R-15.

Back