remington 700 scope mounting ??

Drewdoo41

Inactive
I have a short action remington 700 in .243 and have just installed Leupold 2 piece bases. I ordered them through midway, and ensured that I ordered the correct 2 pc base for the short action. However, when I mounted the bases, the rear had to be flipped with the windage adjustment forward facing in order to clear the bolt handle. I'm not even sure I can mount the scope this way. Anyone else run into this? :confused:

The directions said that only the browning action should require the windage adjustment screws to face forward. Guess they need to be revised. Thanks for the help fellas.

Just to prove the exception to every rule. . .

I have a 700P in .308.

I have Leupold two piece bases and the windage screws are on the rear mount and I have no problems at all.

I bought the scope at bases at the "Sportsman" here in Mesa and the store mounted and bore sighted the scope.

Could it be your bases are low?

I want to say I have a 40mm objective bell and I do not have the rifle in front of me but I would think I have medium height rings.

I have no issues with the bolt handle at all.

Strange:confused:

Geetarman:D

PS Just wondered if we are describing the problem the same way. . .are we talking about the windage screw being on the forward mount or forward on the rear mount.:confused:

Geeterman,

I believe they are describing having the windage screws mounted at the rear, but turned around so the screws face the ejection port rather than the bolt.

Looking at my one piece standard mount, that appears the way it should be mounted anyway.

Last edited:
Kimberclassic,

That is how mine is mounted. The rear base is mounted so the windage screw is toward the chamber opening. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Geetarman:D

I believe kimberclassic is correct. Had that set up once don't anymore but believe that is the way it went. Also if there new should be a set of instructions or drop them a e-mail.

No offense guys, but I think those mounts are the worst ever. I have used them and the windage screws have broken also the fact the rear ring can be adjusted out of alinement with the front just goes against everything I have been taught about proper scope mounting. There are so many better options out there for scope mounting. If you don't need or want quck release then the Talley one piece rings are a great option if they make them for your gun.

Back