Remington 700 recoil

kbear

Inactive
Sometime ago I purchased a Model 700 .375 Remington Ultra Mag. This thing really kicks. I put on the Remington aftermarket recoil pad which helped with the recoil a lot.

But when I shoot it the bolt still hits me in the trigger finger. And after about 2 shots it hurts like hell.

Would a different stock shape help? I am thinking about putting the harder recoil pad back on so it won't move backwards so fast and far.

And I do try and hold on to the pistol grip as hard as I can.

Any good advice?

PS I use the rifle for brown bear hunting and I often hunt by myself. So I really do like having a big rifle.

A thumb hole stock would help a lot with the recoil. I'm not sure how yer trigger finger is getting hit by the bolt though. But a thumb hole stock pretty much puts a pistol grip on the rifle that you can control the recoil with the web of your hand. Some folks like them, I do, but some can't adjust to the different feel of the rifle. You'd have to find one and give it a try before investing in one. I'm not aware of a factory thumb hole stock as I usually make all of my stocks.

If the trigger guard is hitting your finger, the stock is not being pulled into the shoulder firmly enough. The guns recoil is being allowed too much movement.

The bolt is hitting my trigger finger right were it joins my hand. I also shoot 300 magnums in the model 700 and a .340 and .378 Weatherby and have never had this problem. I am pulling back on it pretty hard and it isn't hurting my shoulder.

I am thinking about cutting back the powder charge a grain at a time until contact (at least painfull contact) ceases.

I picked up a savage 22 with a thumb hole stock. I thought that it felt great.

Back