Remington 700 recall/Class Action Suit

I searched the forum, couldn't find what I was looking for. I just read about this. There's seems to be two things going on, a voluntary recall and the law suit.

One criteria clearly describes X-mark Pro triggers and manufacturing dates between May 1st 2006 and April 14 2015. But another paragraph says 700s, Sevens, 770, 600 etc. are also affected if they contain a trigger mechanism "that utilizes a trigger connector".

My 700 BDL was purchased circa 1990. How do I tell? Their online chat gave me lip service and went to sleep. The deadline for submitting a claim is April 23rd.

Surprised this isn't talked about more.:confused:

Yours is definitely pre-recall. My ADL from 1999 was pre-recall. Don’t sweat it. If you’re that worried, swap the trigger with a better aftermarket one.

The pre 2007 rifles were never recalled. But every Remington bolt gun (except the 788) made from 1946-October 2006 used the same trigger. Remington has settled over 100 lawsuits over that trigger design since the 1940's.

As part of the most recent lawsuit Remington agreed to replace those triggers if they are sent in, but they are not officially calling it a recall.

As part of another lawsuit they changed the trigger in October 2006. That trigger is safe. BUT... due to a manufacturing error adhesive was allowed to get into the trigger mechanism on some of those guns made prior to 2014. Those guns WERE officially recalled.

Personally I simply bought a Timney trigger for mine and installed it myself. It cost me right at $100 and took 10 minutes. It is a MUCH better trigger than what Remington is putting in anyway. And I didn't have to deal with the hassle of removing scopes, shipping to Remington, being without the rifle for months, replacing the scope and getting everything zeroed again.

Surprised this isn't talked about more.

Where have you been. This is one of the most hotly debated gun forum topics for the last 10 years. I've known about the issue since the 1970's. There have been 2-3 high profile lawsuits that caught the attention of the media and there have been multiple stories done on programs such as 60 Minutes etc. The most recent in 2010 by CNBC.

My gunsmith told me about the trigger recall on the my 7mm Rem Mag Model 700 XCR. I called Remington, they confirmed it was included in the recall. They sent me a box and postage, and I had to mail it out at a Fed Ex store. They swapped out the trigger and mailed it back. I believe it was mailed to MN. I got the rifle back in short order. I put my scope back on and am now good to go. I would have never known the trigger was under recall if he wouldn't have told me about it. I have to say Remington customer service was top notch in this case. I purchased my rifle in 2009, but it was a 2007 on clearance from the Sportsman's Warehouse that closed in Green Bay. I got a screaming deal on it.

Gang, haven't been hanging out here regularly. Retired, moved, busy with the homestead.

I was generally aware of issues with the 700. I absolutely remember about the "voluntary recall" with 2006 and beyond rifles, and dismissed it because mine was circa 1999.

But I missed the lawsuit that eventually compelled them (apparently) to publicly acknowledge the design flaw and offer a remedy to everything made before 2006. Don't know, must have had something going on that week. Again, haven't been hanging out here either.

So I'd like some advice. I do believe I had an AD quite some time ago when I moved the Safety to fire, but obviously thought it was my fault at the time. While some think this has been overblown, you can see I'm a little motivated to address the issue. However, the article I read that brought this to my recent attention said that many users were complaining that the repair/replacement performed by Remington did not actually fix anything!

It seems we have a couple votes to replace it with a Timney or other reputable make. Any other suggestions?

I suppose it depends on what you want. If you are sensitive to what your trigger feels like, buy a Timney. If all you want is the security of knowing your trigger is safe and you are satisfied with a stock trigger, do what Remington advises. Especially if you have already had as serious a problem as what you think may have happened.

Timney makes a fine trigger but one of my absolute favorites right now is the Trigger Tech.

When I was in gunsmithing school we had a standard practice to tell Remington 700 owners across the board to replace their triggers. Of course we were understandably sensitive to liability. A Timney trigger was standard in pretty much every custom Remington 700 I've built or worked on.

Back