Remington 700 rebuild questions:

Wyoredman

Howdy!

Looking for some knowledge on Remington 700's. I just purchased a Model 700 (BDL I think) chambered in .22-250. It appears the rifle has been worked on. Here is the description:

Has a glossy walnut stock with cheek rest, metal butt plate, black pistol grip cap, checkering on the pistol grip and fore end and a black cap on the fore end. The rifle has a bottom floor plate for the magazine that is also glossy blued as is the trigger guard.

The action is glossy blued with a jeweled bolt. The barrel is stamped with the Remington safety language, .22-250, a funky ~ turned vertical and the date code LO on the left side. On the right side the barrel has the usual REM stamp and an iron cross and another stamp I can't really make out. The barrel is not glossy, rather a matt black finish. The barrel has a heavy varmint type profile, giving the rifle a pretty hefty weight.

The trigger has obviously had some work, as it breaks at a very light 2#.

How do I tell if the barrel is a replacement? Also, is the serial number prefix on the receiver indicative of anything? This gun has serial Number R6667XXX? Is this rifle a BDL or a CDL?

Other than some nicks and dings in the stock finish and some warn jeweling on the bolt, the gun looks to be in pretty decent shape. I paid $500 for it. It came with a TASCO 3x9 scope and what appear to be Leupold rings and bases.

Any info or thoughts as to what I have will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The "C" in CDL stands for "classic". The one's I've seen all had a satin finish rather than the high gloss on the BDL, presumably to look a bit more like an oil finish. I don't recall a Monte Carlos cheek feature on the CDLs I looked at, but that doesn't mean there are models that don't have it. The magazine on the CDL is removable, where I believe it only drops open on the BDL.

If the trigger is gold-colored, it is probably the original Walker trigger design. It has a flaw in that if a piece of grit gets into the wrong place, it can fire on closing the bolt. I replaced them on my 600s with Timney triggers.

Sounds like you have a 700BDL made in the 1960s (glossy stock, drop magazine floorplate, metal buttplate). It probably has the stamped checkering with fleur-de-lis, right? If the barrel has been messed with, it would probably have been replaced, which it sounds like it was not. If it has the factory trigger set at 2 lbs, put a Timney on it and you will have made the most immediate improvement needed on the rifle. Shoot it to see how well it shoots, many 22-250s got shot a lot over the years and the barrels are worn, which is usually the reason people get rid of them. But, it is a good rifle, I would shoot it and see if it still shoots well. If so, enjoy it. If it won't shoot, you can find take-off barrels on eBay, or put a custom barrel on it.

CDL's also came with a hinged floor plate.

I'd call Remington and give them the full serial number and they'll tell you what you have.

RJ

Thanks fellas. I was curious because the barrel is not a shiny blue, but rather a mat black.

I cleaned it and it looks good. Going to shoot it soon. Thanks

Back