Remington 700 question

Rifleguy123

Inactive
So I have seen the composite stock Rem 700 at my local wally world for around $400...How much would it cost me to put a wood stock on it? Is it as simple as unbolting the composite stock and dropping the new wood stock in? The wood stocks go for about $700-800 so if I can get a stock for around $60 then it sounds like a better deal.

To my understanding there is no difference between the rifle of a wood stock and composite stock, correct me if I am wrong...

The caliber I am interested in is a 30-06.

P.S. What do you guys think about buying a rifle from wal-mart?

Why not look around at local shops for used 700 with wood stock. Support local guy and have original. 700 in 30-06 are common. Should be available in the 400.00 price range.

Bighickery

The Walmart 700 is most likely an ADL model or at least the one my son got is. If you just put a stock on it and can do the bedding yourself I would think your going to be into it at least another couple of hundred, depending on which stock you choose.

I don't have any problem with someone buying a gun from Walmart, that's a decision each buyer has to make. You certainly don't get the service you would from a gun store but you also don't pay nearly the price.

Last edited:
The wood stocks go for about $700-800 so if I can get a stock for around $60
When you buy a $700-$800 rifle, you are getting a lot more than a wood stock. The $400 rifle has a blind magazine, rough finished metal and far less attention to build quality. Finding a factory wood stock with no floor plate (ADL) is a bit more trouble, but if you look around on E-bay etc. you may find one reasonably priced. Buying a wood factory stock can get pricey. Last time I checked it was $250-$300.

The $400 rifle will likely shoot just as well as the $800 gun, just without the polish, bells and whistles on the more expensive gun.

Basically what I am trying to get at here is whether or not there is any "special" work that needs to be put into swapping a composite stock with a wood one for the Remington 700 rifles.

I hear all this talk about glass bedding, such and such bedding.... Can I unbolt the composite stock and just bolt the wood one in, or is there more that needs to be done?

My plan is to buy the composite stock Remington 700 rifle from Wal-Mart for ~$400 and go to a gun show and grab a wood stock from a Remington 700 for around $50 and put it on the rifle. This way I can be out the door with a wood stock Remington 700 rifle for less then 500 bucks.

Once again my question, do I have to take it to a gunsmith for any special fittings or things like that for this to work properly?

You can drop your 700 action right into a properly inletted wood stock and do nothing else. If the accuracy satisfies you, you are good to go. If it does not, there are accuracy tweaks that can be applied short of glass bedding. Make sure the action rests levelly in the stock with the action screws removed. With a hand around the barrel at the foreend and the other around the rear of the action, alternately squeeze to try to rock the action back and forth. If solid, good to go, if not, shim under the tang or in front as seems best until solid. I use lead foil for shims, or you might use pop can aluminum. Shouldn't need more than one shim. Then make sure the barrel fits in the stock channel with even pressure on both sides. If uneven, you will have no end of accuracy problems. If uneven, adjust with a rasp. Then check upward wood pressure on the barrel at the end of the stock. The 700 usually works with a bit of pressure, but some like to remove it, and it is something you can play with. At the range, I have best results with the action screws snugged down very tight. Do not tighten one fully, then the other. Snug them up alternately. If you are handy and want to try glass bedding I recommend Brownell's Acra-Glas Gel. It takes bit of courage, but it is not terribly difficult and the directions are good.

Having said all of this, I agree that you shoud be able to find a used 700 BDL (Nice, with wood) for $500. Accuracy tweaking may still be useful.

My plan is to buy the composite stock Remington 700 rifle from Wal-Mart for ~$400 and go to a gun show and grab a wood stock from a Remington 700 for around $50 and put it on the rifle. This way I can be out the door with a wood stock Remington 700 rifle for less then 500 bucks.

Basically yes, It is simply a bolt on, "IF" you can find the correct stock for your gun. I'm fairly certain you are talking about an ADL. If that is the case you need to find a long action, ADL stock with a sporter barrel contour. Finding one for $50 will be the challenge. $150-$200 is more realistic, if you can even find the exact one you want.

Back