Remington 700 Poll

Out of all those people that had the Remington 700 accidently fire, if they had follo

• Agree

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Palmetto-Pride

Out of all those people that had the Remington 700 accidentally fire, if they had followed the number one rule in gun safety and had the gun pointed in a safe direction would anybody or anything have gotten hurt or killed.

And if the rifle didn't go off when it wasn't supposed to, no one would have been hurt or killed.

You can also say if Remington had implemented the 5.5 cent fix that the trigger designer came up with, we wouldn't be discussing this subject today. ;)

I don't believe Remington is TOTALLY to blame but they are certainly not innocent in all of this.

Last edited:
Out of all those people that had the Remington 700 accidentally fire, if they had followed the number one rule in gun safety and had the gun pointed in a safe direction would anybody or anything have gotten hurt or killed.

Your poll is totally irrelevant.

Safeties are supposed to work, and not malfunction.

You're asking a question, but wanting responses appropriate for a statement.

You may want to edit your post to clarify what the statement is (since the poll is not likely to be editable now).

you should always be aware of where your muzzle is pointing. There is no excuse for shoddy gun handling. Even when you are taking it off safety.

Safeties are supposed to work, and not malfunction.

That's really the bottom line. Lots of different scenarios.

There is no excuse for shoddy gun handling. Even when you are taking it off safety.

A S.W.A.T. has a BG holding a hostage in his sights and he get ready to fire by moving his safety to off and the rifle fires.......what safe direction?? Not exactly shoody gun handling.:confused:

I am thinking how it would be to market a new rifle with a safety defect that causes it to fire when the safety is moved to off.

So you tell your distributors that this is a great rifle, it does have a safety, but make sure you tell your customers to keep it pointed in a safe direction when they take the safety off. Just to be real safe tell them to aim the rifle just as they would when they pull the trigger, then if the safety causes the rifle to fire...no harm. If it does not cause the rifle to fire then go ahead and pull the trigger.

Good luck with your sales numbers.:rolleyes:

Sometimes you know you have spent more time on a thread than you should.....that's me.:)

No such thing as a safe direction to have an AD. Bullets ricochet or fragment when fired into the ground. What goes up will come down. Bystanders, as well as the shooter are still at risk.

Just design a gun that won't fire until the trigger is pulled.

You assume that the people involved did not follow gun safety. As others have posted, this is an issue regarding the safety mechanism by Remington.

It's not an accident, it's a mechanical failure. Safety is paramount and an unsafe firearm makes any situation it's used in a dangerous situation. Like it or not we trust our equipment to perform as designed.

Whether or not....

Anything manufactured by man can/will fail. (Mechanical safety)

One rule is paramount to firearms safety=Muzzle control. 100% True

Most safety doctrine in print for the last half-century stresses to NEVER rely on ANY mechanical safety. It is not a substitute for "muzzle control" or "Never point at anything you do not want to shoot" rules.

Unless you guys were there at any of these Rem 700 incidents, or have been directly involved in an accidental shooting which caused a death, then perhaps you should stop and think before you assign the culpability to the manufacturer.
BTW...Check this out, after the CNBC "report"

http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

Last edited:
Unless you guys were there at any of these Rem 700 incidents, or have been directly involved in an accidental shooting which caused a death, then perhaps you should stop and think before you assign the culpability to the manufacturer.

Not necessary to be there for any accidental shootings. This is about a mechanical design flaw that can be viewed by looking at the design itself. And by the fact the original designer discovered the flaw in 1948 and recommend a design change that was later refused due to cost.

I have seen the Remington reasons several times. It is good PR but does not address the details of the design flaw and Walkers recommend blocking design.

There are two long threads you can find here that beat the subject to death. Also this technical document that gives good explanation of the design flaw.

http://www.flinthillsdiesel.com/Remington-Walker.pdf

Remington has lost and will probably continue to lose this one in court suits.

Given that you are not in control of when the trigger fails, are you always in control of who or what is there when the bullet lands.?

The answer is "No".

This account is from another forum .

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/8511049141/p/4

I can account for a death in El Paso Texas back in the 1960s when a friend of mine, who lived up on the side of Mount Franklin, attempted to unload a Mod 700 in his driveway! When he moved the safety forward so he could open the bolt the rifle went off, and his hand was not touching the trigger. He immediately called the police to tell them if they got a call about a gun shot it was an accidental discharge of his rifle in his driveway. Ten minutes later a police car arrived in his drive way. They had also gotten a call from the wife of a man who was shot in the head while mowing his lawn about three quarters of a mile away down hill from my friend's home. This is not hearsay I was there, and it is a matter of record.

Slamfire, no reason to not believe the El Paso story. There have been postings on these threads about first hand accounts of the safety failure. I have no reason to dis-believe those accounts.

An interesting aspect of this 700 issue.

Just think that if it was before this became a public issue and you asked on gun forums if it was acceptable to have a modern gun design that could cause a firearm to discharge when the safety is moved to the off position. My guess is the vote would have been 99% that it is not acceptable.

Added: It is extremely hard for me to believe that the same people arguing safe direction would go into a gun store and purchase a rifle that had a safety tag saying {danger, this rifle might discharge when the safety is moved to the off position}....at least I know I would not purchase any firearm with that warning.

Last edited:
making things safe

I think it is reasonable to expect a gun and safety to work as the owner intends it to and as the maker claims. Here is the sticking point to me and the manufacturers obligation.

We as customers should not be put in an unexpected position of being put in a crisis situation and being unprepared to deal with it.

We have an obligation to use these in a safe manner but these peoples thought process and good habits didn't prepare them for this.

Back