REMINGTON 700 POLICE variants

Visaman

Hello, does anyone have any experience with ;
REMINGTON 700 POLICE LTR 12,990.00 NOK = 2,204.42 USD
REMINGTON 700 POLICE MEDIUM LONG RANGE SNIPER RIFLE
Cost brand new here in Norway 13,990.00 NOK = 2,374.12 USD

They are currently produced in :
.223 Rem (5.56x45mm) and .308 Win (7.62x51mm, 7.62mm NATO)
I have seen those rifles chambered in 6.8mm Remington, but that cartridge is discontinued.
I wish they made them in 7mm-08 Remington and .280 Remington, also known as the 7 mm Express Remington.

Yes, what do you want to know?

The LTR is a "light tactical rifle" and was Remington's "sort of" attempt to compete against FN's "PBR" Patrol Bolt Rifle. I think Remington dropped the LTR in favor of the VTR with it's triangular barrel.

I didn't know that the Medium Long Range rifle was produced in 308, I thought it was a 338 Lapua only option. But once again I don't see it listed as a current offering so it has probably been replaced by the XCR in the current lineup.

Bottom line, both are basic Rem 700 actions in a synthetic stock with a heavy barrel. None of the Remington "Tactical" line has ever been offered in anything other than 223, 308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag that I know of. However their "varmit" series normally offers 243 Win, 7mm-08 but with a different stock.

EDIT: some Police models were offered in RUM and SAUM variants.

I hope this helps.

Jimro

Last edited:
Can a broken ejector, a broken firing pin be replaced in the field ?

Whats the diameter on the barrel, and what are the dimensions on the the threads on the recoil compensator ?

What kind of upgrades can be done to it ?
Nice if it is possible to get it to shoot 4mm groups at 100 meters.
Thats what a DSR-precision GmbH - DSR 1 rifle is capable of.
But the downside of that is that the cost is : 100,000.00 NOK = 16,989.81 USD!:eek:

Jimro,
They also made them in 6.8 SPC not sure how long but they were in production. I own one.
Great rifle, jury is still out on the calibre in the bolt action rifle for me.
But i got it about half price brand new so even if a rebarrel it it's still cost me less than it would new.

On a Remington 700??? :eek: It could be done, but it would not be the easiest replacement ever attempted. The firing pin spring is very stout, and there is no retaining pin notch or hole, so the firing pin spring must be manually compressed and captured to repair it in the field. The firing in is retained by a pin that must be driven out. Also, the ejector is retained by a small pin, and again, it would not be the easiest repair to attempt in the field. For all intents and purposes, I would say it could not be done, except I carry a toolbox with me when I go afield, and I have done some pretty major overhauls in a travel trailer at midnight.

Honestly, if you want a field repairable bolt action rifle, get a Mauser 98, Winchester Model 70, or some other Mauser derivative. Much easier.

Firing pin yes, ejector needs some tools you don't normally have in the field. But I have not seen either break in the field.

Whats the diameter on the barrel, and what are the dimensions on the the threads on the recoil compensator ?

The barrel diameter is 21 mm at the muzzle, 31.75mm at the chamber. The stock barrel does not come threaded for a compensator on the base model.

What kind of upgrades can be done to it ?
Nice if it is possible to get it to shoot 4mm groups at 100 meters.
Thats what a DSR-precision GmbH - DSR 1 rifle is capable of.
But the downside of that is that the cost is : 100,000.00 NOK = 16,989.81 USD!

Upgrades? Anything you want to pay for can be done to a Rem700. Aftermarket triggers, stocks, blueprint the action, new barrel, etc.

For accuracy I would look at the Sako TRG 22. Here in the US it is has a "premium" price, but shoots every bit as good as any Remington. Maybe in Norway the price is more comparable?

Jimro

For what it's worth, the 700 LTR is still active in Remington's lineup. It has always been a police-side gun, however. Current chamberings are .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .300 Remington SA Ultra Mag. See http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

I am not finding exact dates, but I think that the FN PBR was introduced to compete against the 700 LTR, which I believe were introduced quite a few years before the PBR.

Yes, what do you want to know?

The LTR is a "light tactical rifle" and was Remington's "sort of" attempt to compete against FN's "PBR" Patrol Bolt Rifle. I think Remington dropped the LTR in favor of the VTR with it's triangular barrel.

I didn't know that the Medium Long Range rifle was produced in 308, I thought it was a 338 Lapua only option. But once again I don't see it listed as a current offering so it has probably been replaced by the XCR in the current lineup.

Bottom line, both are basic Rem 700 actions in a synthetic stock with a heavy barrel. None of the Remington "Tactical" line has ever been offered in anything other than 223, 308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag that I know of. However their "varmit" series normally offers 243 Win, 7mm-08 but with a different stock.

EDIT: some Police models were offered in RUM and SAUM variants.

I hope this helps.

Jimro

JNJewell,

You are right, I flipped the dates for FN and Remington. My bad.

Correct introduction dates are 1998 for the LTR, and I think 2006 for the PBR. Remington keeps me confused, some products migrate back and forth between LEO/Mil only and regular public :P

Jimro

bolt repair

In a semi perfect world you would have a back up bolt machined for the correct head spacing.....In a perfect world your bolt would never fail;)

Last edited:
jimro wrote:

None of the Remington "Tactical" line has ever been offered in anything other than 223, 308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag that I know of

I got one chambered in 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum that disagrees with your statement. (they discontinued this in 07' after a 1 year run of these IIRC )

Also, the LTR is still alive and kicking, just not to the general public. Check out this link

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

and the 300 SAUM is available.

Last edited:
UniversalFrost,
I got one chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum that disagrees with your statement. (they discontinued this in 07' IIRC )

Dude, are you so eager to disagree with me that you didn't read that I listed 7mm Rem Mag?
jimro wrote:

None of the Remington "Tactical" line has ever been offered in anything other than 223, 308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag that I know of

Chill man.

Jimro

I have a new 700P in .338 Lapua
It came with a factory installed brake. Thread is 5/8 x 24

With a suppressor, it shoots 3/4" groups at 200 yards.

The synthetic stock is OK, I had to bed the action since the factory pillars were not making contact with the action. I also modified the comb by cutting it off and cutting it in half length wise. Then using fiberglass resin putty, I built up the comb by layering the cut pieces back on with 1/2" of fiberglass resin putty between the stock and the bottom half and then another 1/2" of fiberglass resin putty between the two halves. I then sanded it to final shape to a perfect fit for my face with my scope.

There are many reports of the inherent accuracy of this particular offering by Remington. For a street price of $1100, it is a real bargain in the long range shooting class of firearms. With minor modifications, the factory stock is quite good and serviceable.

Back