Remington 700 PCR

oldscot3

I received an email from Remington today, announcing their new m700 PCR chassis rifle. It just made me shake my head; you can practically see the hand of corporate politics at work.

First, they're a little late to the party but better late than never. Second, their three caliber offerings. 308 Win; (ok that's a given), but two 6.5 s and no 6mm.

6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem your choice but by most accounts pretty darn close in terms of performance. I guess they couldn't stand not to have a namesake cartridge in the line up.

I understand that, sort of, but I would have had more respect for a bolder move that would have (at least on paper) made for a more balanced line. Example, make a strong effort to revive the 6mm Remington, or offer the rifle in 708 Remington along with match grade ammo optimized for the new rifle.

Anyway, another player in the field is typically good... competition usually helps lower prices. Maybe they'll expand their cartridge line up later.

I can see exactly what you're saying, but I'd look at from the other side. Given the exact niche of this rifle, the 260 Rem makes a great deal of sense!

Neither the 6mm Rem (fast and flat), or the 7-08 Rem (I have one and love it, but I can't imagine it at 1K yds) really make sense in a long range, precision setup. Either could be specifically loaded to make them more at home in that context, but they're still not optimal, and you're still looking at a super narrow market.

I think they should have released it in .308, 260 Rem, and 6mm CM. As bandwagon as the Creedmores are right now, anyone can look at just about any manufacturer to find a tacticool, long range, railed system in 6.5 CM. But I for one, would choose 260 over 6.5 CM. The 6mm CM has really piqued my interest though.

If they offer a 6mm it'll probably be a cartridge like the 6mm Creedmoor, as it's what has replaced the 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Rem in the PRS circuit anyway. Even the .243 Win would be a better choice over the 6mm Rem, because you'll be far more limited by the detachable magazines on bullets you can use in a 6mm Rem than the .243 Win. The 6mm Rem would only work well if used in a long action, then you wouldn't be limited on bullet options.

Eh. My Custom R700 is a .260Rem and I like the cartridge, but Big Green is late and over budget with spotty QC.

They should have stuck with the R700 MagPul and added a 6mm something and further expanded the line by offering a package with a bipod, rear bag and a 3-15ish optic. Drop out of the chassis game (they will never do well in the space) and focus on the crossover hunting/match segment, appeal to the $1K ish newer shooter who still has an emotional attachment to R700s and wants a LR rig.

Regarding The 260 option, they are definitely late to The party. The 6.5 creedmore is popular only because Remington insisted on marketing the 260 rem as a hunting round. Of course, as you know there is a huge shortage of hunting rounds so this makes perfect sense (hopefully my sarcasm is abundantly obvious). The precision/long range crowd picked up on the cartridge and said how useful the cartridge is with the high bc 140/142 gr rds and that this is a new, untapped market. But still Remington refused to capitalize on the opportunity... so enter the 6.5 Creedmore. Oh well, this is the Remington of today, not the Remington I grew up loving.

As far as the rifle itself, it looks good, but doesn't really distinguish itself from the competition. I agree hopefully having one more competitor will help lower prices. I think choosing the keymod forearm was a mistake. They probably chose it to save money, but mlock has proven to be better. Not to mention the military chose mlok so the future is bright for them!

Last edited:
the .243 Win would be a better choice over the 6mm Rem, because you'll be far more limited by the detachable magazines on bullets you can use in a 6mm Rem than the .243 Win. The 6mm Rem would only work well if used in a long action, then you wouldn't be limited on bullet options.

Umm...IDK, my 700 ADL is a short action 6mm Rem. Granted it doesn't use detachable mags, but I handload for it and experience no problems with 100 grain bullets. The 6mm case has a pretty long neck.

I guess my main point, however, has more to do with the curious choice of offering two 6.5 chamberings for the same model. The 260 has its fans and is very similar in performance to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Pick one or the other for pete's sake and give a 6mm whether it be 243, 6mm Creedmoor or something else altogether.

Maybe later on they'll do that. Perhaps, they're going to settle the debate over 260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor with a sales competition.

Drop out of the chassis game (they will never do well in the space)

They sure won't with me; Legacy keeps introducing more options it seems. I like the new chassis guns for the Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel. My range is limited to 500 meters, it looks like just the ticket for fun plinking steels.

Last edited:
oldscot3 said:
Umm...IDK, my 700 ADL is a short action 6mm Rem. Granted it doesn't use detachable mags, but I handload for it and experience no problems with 100 grain bullets. The 6mm case has a pretty long neck.

Chassis style rifles are designed with the PRS shooter and not a hunter in mind. A 100 grain bullet isn't going to be the bullet of choice in these types of rifles. This rifle if offered in any 6mm bore should have a minimum of a 1:8 twist for 105+ grain VLD style bullets. If you seat a 105 grain VLD style bullet to mag length in a short action 6mm Rem the ogive will be inside of the case mouth.

So I'll stand by my statement the .243 is a better choice in a chassis style rifle using a short action.

Back