Remington 700 Milspec

Wendyj

Finally saved enough money for my first Remington milspec in 308 with 5r rifling. I loaded three and fired and cleaned after each one. Loaded up some 178 Amax and 175 match bullets. Hoping for really good day at the range tomorrow. Temps finally in the 40s in the am. Hoping fluted barrel and HS precision stock make a lot of difference. Adjusted trigger to 2 lbs 2 ounces. Feels just right. Hoping and praying to make it my new bench rifle. How do you rate these rifles.

Mine is AWESOME!
HOrnady Superperformance Match 178gr or FGGMM 175 gr all day. It shoots any ammo good but mine really likes heavy bullets.
Topped mine with a Vortex HST 6-24.

Well, you've cleaned it enough.

Now shoot it until you see accuracy drop off and then you can worry about cleaning it. Most rifles like a little fouling and shoot better, YMMV.

The HS stocks are nice, my buddy changed his, made sure it was torqued down properly and it shrank his groups to one ragged hole. Something to think about down the road if you want to get that last bit of accuracy.

My son bought one a couple years ago. We replaced the trigger with a Timney and he put a very nice Bushnell scope on it. It has no problem shooting sub MOA with either SMK 175 or Hornady 178 Match bullets and Varget. It is in my opinion a very nice rifle for the range and well worth the money. Enjoy, looking forward to your range report!

I have a Rem 700 but it has a Muller Works Inc DMMR 308 cal, 24" barrel on it. If you set your bullets out just short of the rifling, say 0.010" off, you can get enough room in the case for 46.9c IMR 4064 (I use LC cases to withstand the pressures) to get your IVs up to 2983 fps ave for a 175g SMK. You don't want to take it much higher, but it will give that kind of performance. I'm actually going to back it down to 2920 fps and shoot it there. In my barrel 46.1g IMR 4064 produces a group ave IV of 2920 w an ES of 41. I'm 0.010" off the rifling and 0.003 gap between the shoulder and chamber.

I have finally got to run about 50-60 rounds through it. It was doing one inch plus groups at first but is settling down. The picture is a 10 shot group with 175 smk. Can't wait to go stretch these out. Windy day and my target blew away with the 180 grain nbt's but it appears to like them better. I am quite fond of it for out of the box and not broken in yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 86
I'm impressed with that group. So what is the 5r rifling? I'm not familiar with the term. Lets talk more about the rifle. After all with a rifle that shoots like that loading could be lots of fun.

I was at the range last year and saw the rifle like I bought being shot by an expert marksman. He was punching pretty much one ragged hole with every shot. I haven't got there yet but getting better. Some days are good at the range and there are some days I can't shoot for crap. Eyes getting older. Shaking and heart beats too close together to get a shot in between heart beats. Other days I'm all calm and almost know where the bullet is going when I pull the trigger. Not that this rifle has taken any of my capabilities any better but it feels right on the bench. Trigger feels good. Good Nightforce glass on it. Nothing extravagant just the 4x14x56 SHV. That's low end on the optics for Nightforce but better than a Zeiss I have. The more I shoot it the better it gets. 24 inch barrel with 11.25 twist. First rifle I ever bought at this price range but am not regretting it at all.

One very sweet rifle to shoot. I have an older Remington 700 which has been trued with a 26" barrel and it is my favorite .308 gun hands down. May you be enjoying yours for many years to come. Hey, at least Georgia affords you a longer outdoor range season than up here in NE Ohio. :) I shoot mostly 168 grain and 175 grain Sierra Match Kings over AA 2495 powder. While I have shot Lapua (waiting on some Lapua 308 Palma (small rifle primer) brass the rifle does well with once fired 7.62 NATO brass I get from Brass Bombers. Anyway, enjoy your new rifle to the maximum.

Ron

Reloadron, we do get all year range time with exception of ice storms. I spent a winter with the husband in Toledo and Bowling Green Ohio 2 years ago. Very flat and highs 3-6 degrees every day. Bright side is you have big bodied deer up there. I haven't tried anything lower than 175 grain yet in it. We've got a stand set up over a power line right of way I would like to try some 165s out in it. Going to have to load some for it and an 06. So far only heavy bullets tested so far. Got a great bedding job on this one with the HS precision stock. I'm more than happy with it for now. I'm hoping it does better as I get some more rounds through it.

Hey, at least Georgia affords you a longer outdoor range season than up here in NE Ohio.

You're right about that. Granted we had warm weather to Nov but from now till May it's going to stink.

And I've been thinking I need to spend some time with my Model 70 Stealth in .308. For a cartridge I never really liked I have to admit it's very accurate.

5r rifling on any 308 is hard to find I went to carters country field n stream and cabellas most store attendants had no clue what I was talking about.I think this is what I want as well my VX6 is getting lonely.

Back