Remington 700 LTR Safety Issue?

American Dad

Inactive
Does anyone know if all Remington 700's have had the issue with the safety discharging a round? I am considering purchasing a Remington 700 LTR .308 and was good to go until my research led me down the path of the accidental discharge from the safety.

I have been shooting Rem 700's for over 40 years along with all my family members gramps,uncles,and cousins we have never seen a accidental discharge from a rem 700??
Dad bought a Rem 700 7mm rem mag at a auction where someone had adjusted the factory trigger to the point it wouldn't work,he bought it cheap adjusted the factory trigger now it's a shooter with no trigger or safety issues.

Just my experience

Use the Google search term "Remington trigger issues" and you'll get a wealth of information, some of it good, some of it bad. The issue is with a hatchet job CNBC did on the Walker trigger. I've owned several Remington 700s with the Walker trigger and never had a problem. My current Remington 700 has a Walker trigger. The newer model Remington 700's have a newer trigger design.

One fairly decent rebuttal to the CNBC hack job is by Dave Petzal at Field and Stream. LINKY!

Oh, and here's Remington's response to the CNBC hack job. LINKY!

One thing to remember is that anybody can make a rifle unsafe, which is why trigger jobs should be done only by trained professionals. In trigger adjustment, a little information is a bad thing. - - oh, and never point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.

I came across the same stuff when shopping around prior to buying mine; it only took a couple of videos and stories to realize that it was all your typical news sensationalism. There are only a few things anyone ever needs to do to prevent accidental discharge: Properly maintain the firearm, keep the safety on at any time other than time on target, keep the trigger finger off of the trigger at any time other than time on target.. These are the same safe handling instructions found with any firearm, and just plain common sense. Nothing I saw swayed me from buying my 700.. old or new trigger, these stories were just ridiculous.

I don't think the story was totally ridiculous when Walker says that he had safety concerns with his trigger and wanted to change it.

You would have a somewhat different understanding of Walker's mindset if you knew what the "unedited" version was.

In the vast majority of cases the 700 issue has always come down to some version of driver error and/or botched maintainence, it might be why, after all these years, no lawyer has ever produced the condition in a courtroom. As in all things, if you use your head, don't screw with it, and don't load/unload your firearm in the truck, family room, on a horse, in a boat, pointed at your kid, your good to go. Mechanical parts can and do fail on occasion but they're no substitute for common sense.

In Remington's response to the show they did a good job of defending themselves with the exception of what Mr. Walker said about his design and to me that is the most credible part of the story.

Remington changed the trigger design in 2007. You can buy a new LTR and not have to worry about it. Or you can buy an older 700, change the trigger to a Timney, Dayton Traister, etc and not have to worry about it.

Back