Remington 700 - How to quiet Loud Safety

condoor

Inactive
So I'm looking for a gun to hunt deer with in CO. I hunted several years ago with a lever action marlin in AL. Most of the shots where I hunted were under 100, with many under 50 yards and being quiet was critical (which I could do with the marlin)

I've found a good deal on a Remington 700, but the safety makes a loud click when you disengage it, and I'm worried that it would spook a deer inside of 50 yards. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Is there anyway to quiet that down some?

thx-c

Use 2 fingers to take the safety off.

Pinch it between your thumb and pointer finger and slowly move it until it is off. It will be completely silent.

It will also quiet a little with wear. While you are watching TV, sit with it in your lap and work the safety back and forth. A week of doing that should break it in.

I have 2 - 700's and my hunter is a 700 BDL European .270. It also has a scrunchy/clicky safety. My 700 VS one is quiet & smooth This is a good winter project. I will post when I find the fix...should be easy.

The "fix" is as easy as a little dab of grease.

Nah, The safety does not squeak, it makes a loud click when you turn it off.

I don't think grease or oil will do anything for that, however I could be wrong.

Wakerider has the cure; use 2 fingers to move the safety. I do this with all my guns while hunting. If you have gloves on it even quiets it more. My A5 has a long travel and I use the 2 finger method to silently (or as close to it as possible) take the safety off. I've done this when the deer was as close as 5 yards from me. I had to let her get out about 25 yards before I could shoulder the gun! CB.

Are Timney safeties quitter?

I have worked many, over and over again, hoping to wear it in. Sat there and on, off, ect.

I did take the trigger apart 3 years ago, clean it and some rem oil, the heavier stuff in the bottle. That did seem to help. I worry about heavy oils in the trigger, collecting dirt or freezing.

Going slow, push down hard on it helps too. But you shouldn't have to think about it, when a big buck comes out.

I would like a light a trigger, so I was wondering about Timney anyways.

Yes, I know this is an old thread. But what is the point in starting a new one?

It might sound loud to you, but it won't matter a bit, even when an animal is close. I've taken deer at 20 yards and they never heard the safety. I was much more worried about my scent at that range.

Mine seems to have quieted a bit over the years. But I can't explain why a safety that I can hear has never spooked a dear, but it never has, including deer that were quite close to me.

In my experience the Remington trigger is about as quiet as any if properly used. The Timney replacement safety is very comparable. I wouldn't replace the factory unit for a better safety, it isn't any better or worse. But I would replace it for a better trigger and the included safety is very good as well.

Just flip it off, I've never had a deer spook at the sound of a safety being flipped off. They're more likely to spot the movement of your whole hand if you use two fingers to move the safety than just using a thumb to flip it off. Unless, you're shooting from inside a blind.

Back