Remington 700 ejector removal

cw308

Just read an article about removing the ejector for better accuracy. The thought is, the plunger is causing pressure on one side of the case, causing the case to cant to one side. Benchrest shooters remove the spring & plunger. I'm a benhrest shooter, load one round at a time with a Remington 700. This is the first time I heard of this. What do you think about this. Did anyone try this?

Never heard of this but I almost -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-canned it on my Sendero just because it was such a bitch to reinstall after a skim bedding job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeffsmith49
Sinclair has a tool that makes it seem easy. Why did you remove the ejector ( plunger & spring) from the bolt face when bedding the action. l also bedded my 700 using Devcon, worked good but when it was setting up, thinking l could have glued my action to the stock forever. Without the plunger in your rifle, the fired case, how does it come out. Does it just lay there.

I removed the ejector spring & plunger with a 1/16 pin punch, pretty easy. I used springs from a aim n flame lighter to replace the factory spring. Its a very light to no pressure, just to stop any flopping around of the plunger. The case sits on the follower, removes easily. I don't have to catch the case or drop it. I load one at a time anyway. Will see if accuracy is effected. I like not having pressure on the chambered case, better bolt feel when closing. The test is this Sunday, well see.

The thought is, the plunger is causing pressure on one side of the case, causing the case to cant to one side. Benchrest shooters remove the spring & plunger. I'm a benhrest shooter, load one round at a time with a Remington 700. This is the first time I heard of this. What do you think about this. Did anyone try this?

I do not shoot benchrest, I do however shoot midrange and XTC, a few tries at 1000 yards. Good shooters all around out shoot me at all distances with rifles that have ejectors. There are ones that also outshoot me with actions that don't have ejectors. The rifles with ejectors, you have to get your finger in the port and pull the case off the bolt face. No ejector does mean your case is not kicked to kingdom come and lost. Recently I shot at CMP Talladega in a mid range match, the concrete firing line is sloped and I lost cases which rolled in front of the red line. I also have shot at ranges where the drop in front of the firing point is in tens of feet, and when a case drops down, you need to be a mountain goat to retrieve.

As for the ejector canting the round in the chamber and causing inaccuracy, well there are lots of theories out there that have never been tested. Some sound reasonable, but unless they are tested, they are nothing more than arguing about the number of angles dancing on the head of pin.

It is my opinion, all things being equal, that the greatest source of inaccuracy is the shooter. Skill and judgement acquired though practice and competition provide more consistency than whether an action has an ejector or not. You hold the rifle inconsistently, you pull the trigger inconsistently, you ignore the wind or have the wrong windage when the wind changes and the impact error is often in terms of yards.

Great words from F Class Champion Brad Suave:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek031.html

Spend more time shooting than loading 'perfect' ammunition or cleaning. Squeezing that last ¼ minute out of your groups won't do you any good if you can't hold one MOA or you can't read wind conditions."

Last edited:
I would think a precision chamber and cases wouldn't matter if there is a push on the cartridge. It would always be in the same direction shot after shot.

Well my way of thinking is let's say with no ejected an a little room in the chamber the round would point downward, the firing pin strike would seat the round in the chamber. When sizing with minimum headspace .001 , fairly tight chamber & no ejector pressure. This could help accuracy. I may be 100% wrong, just sounded reasonable to me, I'm giving it a try Sunday morning at my 200 yard shooting range. Easy enough to put it back the way it was if accuracy changes. Wish me luck

Size 1/2 of the neck with a bushing or Lee collet die. Soon or later , the unsize area will form to the chamber. This centers the case neck and bullet in alignment with the bore , if jumping the bullets. Another way is bullets jammed into the rifling, but hard to do on most factory chambers.

Tried neck sizing, partial neck sizing & found full sizing. Full sizing works best or me with .001 headspace.

One reason to put a lighter spring on the ejector would be so the ejector button doesn't dent the case when removing case. The case would be under pressure so why not reduce the button pressure if you are just target shooting.

For a hunting rifle I would want the empty case to clear receiver for another round quickly.

Back