Remington 700 CDL vs. Winchester 70 Sporter

fnslpmark112

Inactive
Which do you think is the better deer hunting rifle? Why?

1. Safety - two position vs. three position
2. CRF vs. Push feed
3. Accuracy
4. Trigger - MOA vs X Mark Pro
5. Stock
6. Workmanship, fit and finish
7. Mag release - inside trigger vs. outside trigger
8. Bolt handle shape and feel
9. Anything else that comes to mind.

For me it's the 700 Rem. Probably because a 700 Rem was my first rifle before I bought Winchester 70s.
I have no 70s anymore but I do have a 700 Rem.

The only thing that is really important when comparing these two rifles is how it fits the shooter. If one feels more comfortable than the other, then that's the one to go with.

I was just looking at M700 CDL SFs and Win M70s in .30-06 Sprg. The Win I was looking at was the Extreme Weather SS.

The fit, finish and workmanship looked like a push. I have a M700 SPS SS in .308 Win that shoots to 0.75" with factory loads and less than 0.5" at 100 yds with my handloads (using RL-15, SMK 168gr, CCI BR2 primers and WW brass) and my nephew just got a M70 Ultimate Shadow in .30-06 that shoots to less than 1" at 100 yds with Federal Premium 165gr w/ Barnes TSX.

As to push v. CRF, I'd certainly want CRF if I was anticipating dangerous game charging me. Having used a variety of Rems over the last 35 years, I'm pretty comfortable about the push feed...it has yet to fail me (of course I haven't faced down a charging lion, elephant or dugga boy).

As to safeties, since I never trust mechanical safeties, I'm not too stressed out about 2- v. 3-position. New Remmy rifles have the X-Mark Pro trigger that resolves any safety and adjustment issues and I like both the MOA and X-Mark triggers equally.

For hunting, it will get to personal preference...if for competition and punching paper, I'd probably opt for the Rem because of the aftermarket and available customizers.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Winny just for a change and based on my shooting my nephew's rifle but mine have me pretty sold on Remmy as well.

Tough call.

FH

Currently own 3 700s and 1 70(gave another to a son). I also have a couple of Ruger MKII. I like the 3 position safety and I find the fit and finish of the 70s superior. IMHO, the control feed versus push feed is personal preference. They are both proven over 50 years. I haven't found any accuracy difference, either.

The 10 rifles I have now have more to do with the caliber than the manufacturer, IF the rifle fits me and I can operate it easily. I would suggest the fit test to make your decision after caliber.

Comparing both in 270 Winchester:

Remington 700 CDL - MSR $959
Winchester 70 Super Grade - MSR $1,159

I like the Rem 700 CDL, but for an extra $200, I would pick the super grade!

I think they are both great rifles, but I would give the edge to Remington in the accuracy department. Both have a huge after market parts and accessories market.

I own a Remmy 700 SPS Varmint and it is extremely accurate. Its bolt is a bit stiff but it gets smoother every time I take it out. It has the x-mark pro externally adjustable trigger but it is very crisp, clean, and light from the factory and I have no desire to change it.
I also own a Winni 70 featherweight and it has one of the smoothest and fastest bolts of any rifle I have ever used. It is also quite accurate but not as accurate as the Remmy (It also does not have the stiff target style bull barrel the Remmy has). It is a 2005 model Winnie so I don't know if it has the same type of trigger as the one you are looking at, but I will say the factory trigger is crisp but is also quite heavy. One of these days I will get in there and adjust it or just go ahead and get a new trigger.
I know you didn't ask but I also own a Savage 110 and its bolt is one of the stiffest I have used, but it is still new and I guess it needs to be broken in. It is quite accurate and the AccuTrigger is also extremely light and crisp!
Of the three my favorite is the Remmy because it is very accurate and it feels good to me. I would recommend you try them all out. Just because the Remmy is my favorite does not mean it will be yours.
Oh, and as an additional note all safeties are mechanical devices that can and do fail. I always treat the rifle as if it were loaded, thus, a two vs. three stage does not matter to me, nor does it seem to matter to my shooting and hunting buddies. The operator of the firearm is the best safety!

Its a tough call, but our Military did!

I own Remington 870 shotgun, Winchester 94 both I love..I am now looking for a deer rifle. Looking at all the brands, Browning, Ruger, Savage, Marlin, and now down to Win vs. Rem. but as I see it, our Military ...Army and Marines picked Remington to make their sniper rifles. eh? so I think I am leaning tword the Remington 700 CDL. 30-06. JMO.

I'd go Winchester, but either Featherweight or Extreme Weather. Either would be cheaper, or about the same price as the Remington.

In standard rounds you get 5+1 rounds in the Winchester instead of 4+1 in the Remington.

Winchester has a steel floorplate vs aluminum.

Remington traditionally has had better triggers and usually better accuracy, but if going with the new FN produced Winchesters it is about a draw.

The bolt handle does not lock down on the Remington. It is possible for your bolt handle to catch on brush and open, dumping your chambered round on the ground.

I like the 3 position Winchester safety better, but like the position and operation of the Remington better.

Remington bolt handles are soldered on vs made as part of the bolt on the Winchester. Although rare, the Remington bolt handles do sometimes fall off.

Quality and workmanship appear to be about equal in my experience.

Most guys don't really understand the purpose of CRF. Unless there is something wrong with either the ammo or rifle, either will feed into the chamber equally well. In any position, even upside down. The CRF offers much more foolproof EXTRACTION and EJECTION. Especially if you somehow allow dirt, ice, or snow to get into your action. Sometimes this cannot be prevented in a hunting situation.

While I may never need it. I see no downside to having CRF. If everything else is equal I prefer it, but it would not stop me from buying a pushfeed rifle if I otherwise liked it.

The following is just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

Winner = Winchester 3 position wing safety

2. CRF vs. Push feed
Winner = Winchester's Mauser style extractor

3. Accuracy
Winner = Remington 700 seems to have the edge as it is more common in matches, but for hunting both will do the job

Can't say, I have no experience with the new stuff, but I did not think the Model 70 or 700 triggers were broken.

5. Stock
Winner = Winchester, I just prefer the shape and finish over Remington

Winner = tie

Winner = Remington

Winner = Winchester's round knob over Remington's oval

9. Anything else that comes to mind.
Heritage, history, legend, the edge used to go to Winchester. Since Winchester is no longer an American company and really just a name, and since the plant in shut down and moved the edge now goes to Remington.

I have over the years owned many model 70s and just one 700. Currently don't own a 700 but I am looking for a third model 70.

Last edited:
I like the features of the Winchester Model 70 better, If I were buying either one, and they were within 100 dollars of each other, I would pay the extra for the Winchester.

Here's a Ringer idea for you

I was looking at both and then heard about the new T/C venture.

It has a 2 position safety but you can open the bolt while the safety is engaged (same as the 3 position safety offers).

The fit and finish are great.

They guarantee moa accuracy out of the box and they aren't lying. The first 3 federal blue box put through mine went in the same hole.

The trigger on mine was super out of the box and it is user adjustable without removal of the action from the stock.

Finally, it runs less than $500 with weaver bases factory installed.

Oh and before someone asks...... no I don't work for T/C and they didn't pay a nickle for my opinions...... I just bought one and fell in love with it.:D

I have no opinion either way on the T/C rifle, but having a 2 position safety that will allow the bolt to open when on safe is not a good thing in most peoples opinion, and is not the same as a 3 position safety.

If the T/C safety does this (I've never handled one) then it is the same as the newer Remingtons. The pre-1982 Remingtons locked the bolt down when "ON SAFE". But you had to move the safety to the "FIRE" position to load and unload.

The 3 position safety will allow you to lock the bolt closed when all the way back. This way it will not accidently open on you and dump your ammo out on the ground. In the middle position, it will allow you to open the bolt to unload, or load the gun, but the gun is still "ON SAFE" in case you accidently touch the trigger. All the way forward is to fire.

Which do you think is the better deer hunting rifle? Why?

2. CRF vs. Push feed

All of the above considerations depend on which YOU personally find to be more comfortable to work with. Simply handle both guns, and then decide which you find better suits you.

To ask us for feedback on those items is irrelevant. What is important is which you personally like better. Have you not yet compared the rifles in person yourself? I hope that you are not considering buying a gun unseen, based just on feedback that you get here.

3. Accuracy

Neither company offers any accuracy guarantee. Accuracy can be totally hit and miss. It would be impossible to say that either brand has an inherent advantage over the other.

Again, you need to be comfortable yourself with these attributes on the specific gun that you buy.

You can also ask yourself this question:

What rifle did the legendary Jack O'Connor hunt with???

watermark.php

Last edited:
LanceOregon made the point.

When I shoulder a 70 v 700 the 700 feels much better. I could care less about safeties, controlled feeding, or scrollwork.

Maybe 30-06 is too much kick!

I am re-thinking the the Caliber. I thought I wanted the 30-06 in a 700 or 70, but a hunting freind of mine says no get the .243 or .270. You can adjust the grain weight depending on game. and it has a lot less kick! What do you guys think?

Buy the caliber you want. Nothing wrong with 270, it will kick a little less, but not much. The 243 will be noticeably lighter kicking. The 243 is a good deer round, but not nearly as versatile if you decide to hunt anything larger than deer later.

They make "Reduced Recoil" ammo for most all of the more popular rounds. My brother used some in a very lightweight Ruger carbine 30-06 for a while with good success. It kicks about the same as a 243 with this ammo. Lately I've been handloading his ammo for him and I load it to about 300 Savage velocities and recoil is no problem. He can always buy the regular more powerful stuff if he needs it.

I have 5 Rems in 700 action, don't like the safety on Win., had one and it went down the road. Both will be accurate enough for big game. The truth is you need to see what gun fits and feels good for yourself. Most likely either will will hold up for a lifetime. Caliber choosing is a little harder choice, and my choice for whitetail deer would be the 270 Win, but the 260 Rem, 308 Win, 25-06 Rem, or 7mm-08 Rem would also make the list, in no particular order. JMO Good Luck!

Back