Remington 700 Build

RadioDude

Inactive
I’ve been a pistol shooter for many years and reload my 9mm, .40, .45’s and M1 Carbine. I have attended three pistol classes at Front Sight; I also have a California CCW permit.

I have had an interest in doing some long distance rifle shooting, from 100 yards to 1000 yards; in slow increments. Not knowing a lot about LD shooting, I sought out a friend asked for his council on this matter.

After discussing this with him and what I want to do, we discussed it; I came to the conclusion the .308 Winchester would good choice.
When I was about to leave he told me to look up “Remington 700 and M24”.

After two weeks going through hours and hours of research of information on the Remington 700 and the M24, I presented a single sheet with one vender’s name and what various components they could build in to this rifle.

Here is what I decided.
Remington 700
Caliber: .308 (7.62)
Bolt/Action TAC30, Stiller (short throw)
Barrel: Krieger, with R5 rifling
Trigger: Timney, 3.3lb trigger pull (or better)
Scope: Leupold Mark4 LR/T3 10X40mm with the Illuminated Mil Dot reticle
Rails & Rings: Badger Ord.
Stock: HS Precision (Black, adjustable length)
Bi Pod: Harris

What are your thoughts on my component selection and what you would have done differently?

If I were you I'd pick up an adult sized .22 lr and start shooting at 25-50 yards. Once you get the mechanics of rifle shooting down then move up to centerfire. One generally has to crawl before they can walk, but what you want to do is start out running. I'm afraid all you will find is dissapointment if you start off trying to long range shoot without mastering the basics first.

I will urge you to find some of the posts written by Zak Smith as well.

Last edited:
The items on your list will probaly exceed $3000.00 and if money is no object go for it, but if you want to accomplish that same results just a bit cheaper you can do so for way cheaper. I bought a Remington .308WIN 700 SPS Varmint for $499.99 from Dicks Sporting goods, changed out the stock with a Choote Tactical stock for $150.00 added a Bushnell Elite 6500 tactical scope with Burris Rngs and a Talley picatinny base for around $950.00. I can shoot a 1/2" MOA group all day with Hornady 168gr Match ammo.

Radio, my personal opinion is two-fold. First of all, that sounds like an amazing set up you have in mind to create for a rifle. Amazing both in component selection as well as price tag.

The second half of my opinion is based in what you've mentioned of your rifle shooting experience and it mirrors taylorce1's advice. Crawl, then walk, then run....and don't be afraid to crawl again sometimes to remember how. I have been shooting rifles since I was eight years old when I busted my butt mowing yards and painting to scrape up enough money to buy a used .22 lr. Now I have my choice of centerfires not ten feet from me in everything from the little guys up to the big shoulder pounding crackenboomers. This past winter, I purchased a ruger 77/22 lr because it shares the same mechanical layout as my centerfires. My thinking was very affordable practice in an identical platform as my primary rifles. I have to tell you, I'm having a blast with this 22lr. I've put 1500 or so rounds through it in the past 90 days or so and it has made me a much better marksman. That is not an anecdotal surmation to justify my opinion or my expenditure. It is a hard truth which is plainly evident in the results I'm seeing on paper now with my other rifles.

I once read on this forum that the 22 LR is the beginner's cartridge and the expert's choice. That may not be verbatim but it holds much truth.

Given that this is a web forum, you are going to read all of this and still do as you please so if you go ahead and build that .308, post some pictures for us:D

all is excellent advice. Most of the fellows on here know what they're talking about. The crawl/walk/run is a VERY good way to start. It gets the basics instilled early and with help from a good shooter, you can get the best skills possible and establish a rock solid foundation.

That being said, my advice is get a good 22lr. CZ makes amazing rifles for amazing prices, and they're identical to the centerfires. That leaves you $ to get nice optics. I'm a fan of Nikon. Cheap and quality. You can grab a nice pro-staff for around $125, a rifle for around $350, and still have some good $ for ammo. Getting used to the trigger pull and stock weld/cheep placement is important. starting with a 22lr eliminates the jerking of getting used to a centerfire.

this being said, we can all give advice till we're blue in the face. The OP will do as they please, but take heed to the advice given by others and weigh your options.

A lot of what you put into a LD rifle is a personal thing. The trigger at 3 lbs is not acceptable for me. Jeez, even my hunting rifles are lighter than that. The absolute heaviest for me is a 1.5lb trigger and a 6 oz is much better from the bench. So pick yer poison there. Mil Dot scopes are great for tactical scenarios but I find them lacking for LD rifles. I'd suggest starting off with a fine crosshair first and figure out what you want from there. Buy as much scope as you can afford. Considering you are starting out, you'll make mistakes for you but may work for someone else so expect to have some errors occasionally. As we say around here "You can't put gold on the table if yer not putting lead in the air". Have fun at yer new venture.

Can I ask whos building the rifle or are you going about it yourself? Sounds like a great choice but like already said it will exceed 3k easy.

I think one just getting into LR shooting, wanting a Remington 700 in 308 might consider getting one of Remington's Police Specials, and spending the other two grand plus in ammo down range.

Long range shooter is all about the shooter, not the rifle. A sub minute rifle is useless if the shooter fails to catch a wind change and his bullet is blown into the next time zone.

Long range shooter is all about the shooter, not the rifle. A sub minute rifle is useless if the shooter fails to catch a wind change and his bullet is blown into the next time zone.

this is true. what better way to learn windage and elevation corrections than to get a good foundation?

plus, factor in the ammo... $20/550rnds 22lr vs. $180/500rnds 7.62x51, thats near 10k rnds for the price of 500

I think spending $3000 on your first bolt-action would be money wasted. Get a good factory gun, a good scope, and if you reach that rifle's limits, then get out the checkbook.

ETA: Provided that you are already proficient with a .22LR rifle.

I refuse to knowingly buy anything from HS Precision.

There are other stock companies. Choose again.

Look around on the 'net and find an Appleseed course. They'll teach you the basics of Rifle marksmanship.

Back