Remington 700, Browning X-Bolt, & Winchester M70 Owners ????

JonesT

Inactive
I am having trouble choosing a rifle. I have researched for weeks reading all kinds of posts before posting this. First, I am getting either a 270, 270WSM, or 7mm Rem Mag for Whitetail and HOPEFULLY Elk some day...but my question is not calibur related.

I am trying to pick the best rifle as far as accuracy, trigger, and looks. I have always wanted a browning and have held the x-bolt in my hand and LOVE the trigger. My only issue with the Browning is the new modern stocks offered unless you get the new white gold but convincing the wife to let me get a $1300 gun would be near impossible lol.

To my understanding, all these rifles are accurate and would be a good choice, it is all about personal preference. Please help me out, What are your opinions on the rem x-mark pro adj trigger and the win MOA trigger. I read chuckhawks article and they werent too fond of the x-mark trigger but the x-bolt feather trigger and winchester MOA trigger were nice...according to the article. Makes sense...since they are the same company.

It seems like I want a remington 700 CDL, with an x-bolt trigger, and in 270WSM which remington CDL does not come in lol...sorry for the long post and thanks for the help in advance.

3 great rifles. For me, it's all about how it fits. How it feels the first time I shoulder it.

PS - Be ready for the Savage fanbois to beat you up a little.:D

The acquisition of Remington by Cerebrus, who destroyed Chrysler and GMAC, is a good reason to get a Winchester 70 in 7mmRM. I have owned a M700 and two M70s in 7mmRM and the Wins win.

The X-Bolt is nice feeling rifle. I did not like the new stock's looks at first, but after handling several, it has grown on me greatly. I especially like the low-luster satin finished Hunter model. The X-Bolt in 7mm mag has a 26" barrel...no thanks. I have heard nothing but good about the new 270WSM. That caliber has a 23" barrel in the X-Bolt.

I like the Featherweight M70 better than the X-Bolt Hunter, simply because it looks like a classic hunting rifle. I've handled a few of the new Winchesters, and as pretty as they are (a solid 9.5!), I like the way the X-Bolt feels even more than the M70. But, I shoot lefty & the X-Bolts have a right hand shooter palm-swell on the grip that is very uncomfortable to me. Between these two rifles, its a tossup.

I'm not a fan of Remington's these days.

Edit: This just in! The Winchester Featherweight M70 is avl. in stainless now:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535119

Thanks for the fast replies so far. So far my general consensus is...THIS SUCKS! Haha...why can't someone just make a perfect rifle for ME. Everyone has different taste, so I can't say that they dont make a perfect rifle because it is perfect for someone. I LOVE the hunter as well...wait for it...BUT I dont like the inward grooves at the very end of the stock on each side. Other than that it would be my perfect rifle. I think right now I am set on the Medalion. That is the closest to my liking overall. Can't beat the stock x-bolt feather trigger, but then again I have never held a M70 which aparently has the same design. Thanks again for the replies, looks like its between x-bolt and M70. Hopefully this weekend I can get my hands on a M70 Super Grade. And yes I am a huge fan of the 270WSM and havent even shot one yet. I have shot a 270 for the past 10 years and love it, and on paper the WSM seems to make it even more amazing. I was confused why the M700 CDL was like the only rifle other than varmint by remington that didnt have it chambered in 270WSM

Im lookin at the browning website right now. I think the more I look @ the x-bolt hunter, the more it is growing on me. Abel have you been to the browning website recently? They put up 4 new x-bolt rifles within the past week, one of them is a Stainless Hunter.

Thanks again everyone! I guess posting on here like a diary somehow helped me decide on the X-Bolt Hunter in 270 WSM lol. Now all i need to do is save a little and buy the wife something expensive haha.

Not my style but it definatly looks nice, I can see why a lot of people would like it. Mainly old timers...haha jk.

I'm kind of looking around also and after reading the accuracy section of the Savage website my choice will be a Savage with the accu-stock and trigger. Check out the barrel (in the accuracy section videos) and how they set the headspace. Then check out the bolt design which allows equal pressure on the lugs. They have done their homework.

I own both the x-bolt and the fn mod 70 fwt.The trigger on them are really good and they feel about the same.I think both are excellent rifle go handle them and see what you like better.

Eveyone has their own tastes. I like the classic lines of a 70 Winchester. Some people may like the lines of an x-bolt. To each their own (teasing).

My 30-06 is an early 70 Classic Sporter stainless with the walnut stock. I have a factory synthetic stock that I may use soemday if I hunt in a harsh climate. I had the smith tune the and polish New Haven trigger down to 3#.

I hunt with both Rem 700 and Win 70 though, not with the triggers you mention. I love both rifles but I like the Winchester 3-position safety much better than the 2-position on the Remingtom. The Remington doesn't lock the bolt closed as does the Winchester. I've found my bolt open and chamber empty several times due to it hitting something like a branch or my pack. Overall though, I prefer my Remington for other reasons more due to the size and weight. It is a stainless stalker .270 which is about 2 pounds lighter than my Winchester (7mm Rem Mag).

With handloads, both are very accurate: .5 MOA for the Rem and .7 with the Win.

Preferences on looks are all up to you, Bud.

You can get a .270 in a much lighter and shorter rifle than the 7 (unless you really don't mind recoil). Also, the benefits of a super, duper trigger are most often lost on a hunting rifle. I bet you would not notice a difference in most triggers while hunting. Adrenelin seems to make trigger particulars fairly moot. IMO, really light triggers are a drawback in field conditions. I shamefully admit to accidently dumping a doe many years ago because I took the safety off as I shouldered my rifle. I looked at a doe before adjusting to her suitor and, as I repostioned my finger to the trigger well, end of story. I had a light trigger set for the bench; I adjusted it a bit stiffer after that.

Last edited:
I own two Remington 700's and two Winchester 70's. I have never owned, shot, or even held the Browning. I don't think that you can miss with either the Remington or the Winchester. Others have voiced an opinion that the fit and finish on the new Remington's is not what it used to be. I suggest that you pick the one that feels the best to you or if the caliber of choice is not offered in one or the other you may want that to be a deal breaker. I own lots of bolt action rifles from .243Win up to 300WinMag. They all will kill deer and I would not hesitate to use any that I own except the .243 for elk. No matter what you get I'm sure that you will like it. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Back