remington 700 blue finished cleaning and oiling

codyb1991

I'm pretty new to cleaning guns, just wondering if there's any special way to clean and oil a blued finish barrel. Normally I use a patch with a few drops of gun oil, run it up and down the outside of the barrel, then use a clean patch to wipe off the excess oil... correct?

That will work. I like "Rig", it's more like grease. Does not run or evaporate as some oils will do.

You have it right! I have a shotgun that has been getting that treatment for about 55 yrs Never had rust on it. I treat all of my guns to oil rubdowns.

Hello, codyb11991. It really doesn't take much oil to keep rust away..just a very thin film. What I use is one of those treated gun-cloths..Birchwood-Casey, Hoppes, etc. These are usually silicone treated.

Go to the local Bass-Pro, and in the gun care section they sell a product by the name of G-96, gun cleaner-oil dash rust prohibitor,,,, its the cats',,,,,,. Just spray it on and wipe it off, smells kinda like bubble-gum, but I use it on my tools, guns, dies, it lasts longer than just about any oil I ever tried and it's easy to use, and it's not messy.;)

Back