Remington 700 BDL.... :)

shurshot

I just found a sweet, gently used Remington BDL in .270 this AM at Cabela's. It has a Bushnell 3x9 mounted on the Kwick mount system, allowing one to use either the iron sights or the scope. I have an old Remington 721, and a nice 7600 pump, both in .270, but this 700 BDL is sexy beyond belief! Skip line checkering, high gloss stock, deep, rich blue, jeweled bolt..... ;) This is the Raquel Welch of the Big Green line, for sure!

I couldn't pass it up. I have wanted a 700 BDL since I first saw one decades ago as a boy. Serial number starts with G, so I'm guessing 1986? Anyhow, the bore is MINT, and and heading out in the AM to put some 130's though it and see what she will do, and to decide if I'm going to keep the scope, or get something better. It looks like it was shot a few times, and kept in a safe. Anyhow, one way or another, this baby has left the safe and will be taking some woodchucks this spring!

Last edited:
I bought a 30-06, 700 BDL in '76 and it shot so well, didn't bother to glassbed it until the wood dried out a few years later. After bedding it still shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards with factory Core-Locts. Unfortunately, I gave it to my son and sometimes I kick myself!

Good find, and I'm sure that it will be a nice addition to your collection. However, it's my understanding that Remington never used the serial number to indicate date of manufacture. They use a barrel code which can be used to determine the date the rifle was assembled. According to this page, Remington used these codes from 1920 till 1999.

My Remington 700 has a date stamp WD, which places it made in August 1983. It's one of my favorite rifles and destined to belong to a grandkid in the next couple of years.

Well I guess I'm confused then pertaining to the code and manufacture date...:confused:
Mine is G63xxxxx Anyone care to decipher? I thought the G meant 1986, at least as far as the BDL goes.
Thanks in advance!

Barrel gets date not receiver

Shurshot,

The barrel gets the date code not the receiver. The barrel doesn't have the S# it has the date code. If the barrel is changed the normal methodology of dating Rem rifles won't work. See the link on the prior post and find the little stamp on the left side, top of barrel just in front of the receiver.

Shurshot, you have my permission to buy it. You can't have too many .270s or too many 700s for that matter. I think some of the value stability in the 700, in addition to the fact that it is inherently accurate and reliable, is that guys wanting the build a custom rig on a 700 action are paying nearly 500 for a 700 action regardless on the condition of the stock and barrel which they take off and toss. I understand some custom builders just go the Walmart, buy the cheapest 700 they have, strip it down and start building.

We (my 7 y/o son and I), took the .270 out yesterday, and with the Bushnell (3X9) that was on it (looked like it was only bore sighted), after some adjustments, she was whacking clay pigeons at just over 100 yards. Good enough for now, until I find a longer shooting range and get a little better quality scope, one designed for low light conditions, as I'm a hunter, not a target shooter. Then I'll pick a warmer day and get her fine tuned... for the MOA stuff she is designed for. What a sweet gun though! I think the woodchuck population around here is in trouble...;) I'd post a pic if I could figure out how...LOL!

Last edited:
Posting a pic.

When you post use advanced, schroll down to manage attachments, search for the pic on your computer and select it, upload it and it's on the site. This site doesn't put those pics up, probably so it doesn't slow it down.

;)

700BDL1.jpg

Thanks Warbird! It worked. Here is my boy checking out the target with my new (used) 700 BDL .270 yesterday at the range. It was colder than hell out there when the wind picked up. On a day like that, I don't mind a hot barrel! The only problem is, now the boy wants the new 700 BDL for himself in a few years, but thats ok, 'cause I still have Gramp's old 721 .270! Those Remington's don't seem to wear out!

Attachments

• 700BDL1.jpg
    700BDL1.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sweet, but get those darned see-through mounts off and mount the scope low, so your eye lines up with it when the cheek is rested on the comb. You should be able to mount the rifle with your eyes closed and be looking through the primary sighting system...the scope!!!

Use some Weaver-Type top mounts, so if the scope is damaged, it can be removed with a coin and the iron sights used, if necessary. That way, both sighting systems can be used with about the same hold. Don't worry about the scope returning to zero when re-installed; it will.

Picher, I may do just that. It does sit high. I'm heading to the Manchester NH Gun Show in 2 weeks, and after I look around there, I'll swing by Kittery Trading Post on the return trip and see what they have for scopes, mounts, etc. This Bushnell 3X9 is ok, but I'm looking for a quality, low light scope, as I seem to always see deer right around dusk and it's easier if I can see antlers in the failing light.

My Remington 721 (long action) .270, with Weaver scope, well into it's 7th decade of use and still taking game. Gramp bought it back in 1949. The Grandfather to the model 700.

Remington's last, and last, and last, and...

Attachments

• 721.jpg
    721.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back