Remington 700 BDL SS in 308?

Jeff Thomas

'Someday' I'd like to have one of those great Robar rifles ( http://www.robarguns.com/customr.html ), probably in 308. I would want a dependable, long range rifle for hunting elk, deer and other 'big' Arizona game. I like the 308 because of its reputation for accuracy, power and ammunition availability, and I've followed the TFL debates on this subject with interest.

I thought perhaps I would buy a Rem 700, and later have it converted by Robar when the money became available. They use BDL's for most of their precision rifles, but the fellow at Robar said they could convert an ADL as well. It was better to avoid the detachable magazines in case I wanted to really go hog wild and get their M14 mag conversion. Stainless steel would be fine.

But when I look at Remington's web site, it looks like the BDL doesn't come in 308. As common as that caliber is, I find this hard to believe. Is my impression correct? If so, why? I thought the 308 was the next most popular 'big game' (for North America) caliber, after the 30-06.

Thanks. Regards from AZ

Jeff, I believe Remington discontinued the .308 Win BDL around 1995. Why? I dunno. You may be able to find a used one at a show, but if I had one I'd keep it, so it may be difficult to come by. You may have to go the ADL route if you want a new gun in that particular calibre.

Mal, thanks. What are the most significant differences between the ADL and the BDL? Are the initials meaningful, as in DM is a detachable magazine?

The most significant difference is in the magazine system. In the ADL, the mag is integral and fixed. It is loaded from the top with the bolt open. In the BDL, it is loaded from below through a swinging floor plate or, as you know, with a detachable mag in the BDL DM. I believe any other differences are only cosmetic with the BDL have the better look. It has a more deluxe stock, a better looking bolt handle, etc. The receiver and shooting characteristics are the same for both. That's it in a nutshell.

I feel your pain, Jeff.

Since May, I've been searching for a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in .308. I also considered the Remington 700 BDL SS in .308 as a second choice. I want to use this rifle as a basis for a Sniper/Scout.

Although I've come across both very sporatically in "auctions", I've yet to procure either model. Dammit I hate those auctions!

Another gentleman on this forum has a 700 SS DBM and doesn't like it and wanted to transform it into an ADL. At first I though he was crazy, but he made some valid points and I gave some suggestions.

I can't understand why WINCHESTER doesn't manufacture the .308 WINCHESTER in their premier rifle! A STAINLESS STEEL rifle! What could be better than that? I've not been in the field a single time when snow, rain, dew, sweat, sap or something else wet didn't contact my gun. Sure sure I know it will rust but not fast and not easy...

Moreover, you can glass bead blast the stainless steel to a "dull iron grey" like the finish found on the Ruger Target Rifles. Not only would this finish blend better in the forest against bark or similar surfaces, but also it would virtually disappear against concrete in an urban tactical environment... A bead blasted barrel is reported to cool faster as well...

I still plan on completing my project before spring. I'm going to find that rifle. I don't see why a man should have to compromise in his choice of rifles. I want .308 for very specific reasons, most of which Cooper preaches. You could settle for a SS Model 7 in .308 but why should you have to? If you are going to go full blown custom, any SS Remingtion short action will due though, but I want to stick close to factory equipment on my project...

Good Luck on the search. Should you find a source for either of these rifles, I'd appreciate a heads up.

You can get the BDL in .308 in the Varmint Synthetic. That'll give you a heavy barrel and an HS precision, aluminum bedding block stock. The BDL doesn't load from the bottom, it loads from the top, just like the ADL. The difference is the floorplate, which permits unloading the BDL from the bottom. Both guns have the same action and completely-adjustable-by-the-owner trigger.
You can also get .308 in the laminated varmint model.

A friend has the Rem. 700 BDL DM in 260 Rem. Flatter-shooting cartridge, based on he .308 case. He likes his fine.

I own a Win. 70 Classic Stainless in .243, with BOSS. Wish I'd bought that Rem., instead. Cheap stock; trigger not adjustable for creep and not adjustable to as low a trigger-pull weight as Rem., without gunsmithing. Rem. action much smoother.

WalterGAII-

I thought the Winchester stocks were made by McMillan?

In what way are they "cheap"? I might have to change my selection.

In my search, I've noticed two factory numbers for the Winchester Classic Stainless in .308: #11861 and #122220. Could the factory have improved the stock? Would the Remington BDL synthetic stock be any different...? I was hoping to retain the factory stock in my project.

The Winchester trigger can be tuned but it's not really a kitchen table project... You'll have to polish to reduce the creep. Best left to a gunsmith. If you have to have a super light trigger, you can swap out for the Jewell trigger and set it at 1.5 oz!

DeBee

I wonder if Walter's Win 70 is the featherweight model. If so, the stock maay be McMillan, but it is their "Winlite" stock. I suspect that it is lightweight and it may feel flimsier than a normal weight stock. Just a shot.

------------------
Spencer Stewart

Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Oops, Walter is absolutely correct. The BDL loads from the top also. I had the detachable magazine on the brain.

Why not consider a Browning A Bolt II in stainless with or without a boss? I was in my local gun shop this week and he had it both in a 308 and a 30-06. The Remington 700 would definitely need a trigger job before it would be a fun shooter (it felt like at least ten # trigger and did not have a clean break) but the Browning was "perfect" right out of the box. Gun Test magazine rates the Browning as having lots of +'s over the Remington. The Browning is $100 more than the Remington, but a trigger job would make cost $40 to $60 in my neck of the woods. The only reason I had any reservations about buying the Browning is that Choate does not make a "perfect sniper" stock as an aftermarket for the Browning. I'm hoping they soon will or I can get one fitted for the Browning. So anyway, once again, why not consider a Browning?

Jeff. I was not aware that Remington had discontinued the BDL in .308 Win. I guess that they just were not selling enough of them, so the "bean-counters" strike again.
I certainly agree with your choice of cartridge though.
In trying to find reasonably priced alternatives, I think Ruger makes a synthetic stocked stainless steel Mkll in .308. This would have a controlled feed, and about the only change I would make is to replace the trigger with an adjustable one by Timney or have the Ruger trigger properly adjusted.
I don't know if Winchester makes an SS model in their push feed series, but I have a Mod.70 Ranger Youth Model that I won in a raffle. (The first time and probably the last time I'll ever win anything :) :() Anyway, I had the trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds, and after trying it out in the kiddie stock, put a Ramline stock I had laying around on it. Groups run from 1.25 to .375 inch, depending on the bullet and load. It's not stainless, but like Murphy sez, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
You can take a Remington ADL and convert it to a BDL by changing the stock, magazine and trigger guard set up. If you are good at woodwork, you could use the ADL stock and inlet the BDL floorplate in yourself and save a few bucks. If you were converting a standard length action, I could let you have a BDL stock cheap, as I converted my 30-06 to an early H&S Precision stock years ago.
One of these years, I may have Robar put one of his finishes on my rifle, but I do prefer the blue, or maybe black finish.
Just a few alternative thoughts for you to consider.
Paul B.

If the plastic stock on my Win. Classic Stainless Synthetic is a McMillan, then it's a really paltry McMillan. I believe that the Win. Varmint also uses an HS Precision with the aluminum bedding block.

That stuff about having to pay $50-60 for a trigger job on a Rem. is, in my humble opinion, absolutely incorrect. While Rem. triggers are set at about 5.5# at the factory, they have a far superior trigger than the Brownings. The Rem. trigger is fully adjustable for creep, overtravel and weight-of-pull. I've adjusted a bunch of them for guys out at the range, for free. You can get all the creep and overtravel out, and easily get the pull down to under 2#, without any honing, etc. Additionally, there are far more superior aftermarket parts such as triggers, etc., for the Rem. action. You'll never find a Browning at a benchrest meet and very few at real varmintshooters events.

I rarely sell a gun; howver, I'll probably sell the Win. and buy another Rem. in .243.

BTW, another GREAT rifle that's not terribly expensive is the Tikka, made by Sako. Fully adjustable trigger, detachable mag, great accuracy.

Lots of great info - thanks for the help!

Walter, thanks for pointing out the Varmint Synthetic - that might be the ticket.

Let me ask another very ignorant question - what the heck is a Rem 700 PSS? Can't find it on their web site, although I've seen a little discussion about them here and there. Is this an LEO rifle for sniping? (Thought I'd seen it mentioned in this thread, but I guess it's on another ...)

The 308 PSS is exactly the same rifle as the 308 Varmint Synthetic except a tad different stock. It's mainly a entry level sniper rifle that shots sub moa or better but does not cost a arm and a leg. They are avaible to everybody not just LE.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited November 20, 1999).]

The PSS is identical to the VS, except that it has a wider forend and pretty thick palm swells. Stock is made by HS Precision. I've shot both. I prefer the VS; others prefer the PSS. BTW, the PSS does have a faster rifling twist.

Jeff Thomas,
According to Remington's 1999 catalog the .308 is available in the 700 BDL stainless steel synthetic DM model #6261 with a 24" barrel.

Back