Remington 700 BDL iron sights

overland

I just got a new 700 BDL 30-06. I put about 20 rounds through it to get used to it and then noticed something funny about the front and rear iron sights. They are in line with each other, but are a good ten degrees to the left when looking down the barrel - sort of as if the barrel needs to be tightened just a little more. They are not bent or damaged, but not at 12 o'clock on the barrel. Is this normal for open sights since they are attached to the barrel and the barrel is threaded into the receiver or is this a manufacturing flaw? The BDL was not cheap and I expected better from Remington. Any suggestions appreciated.

I think there is a problem. I would take it back to the place I bought it and have them send the rifle back.

I have had one gun ( Ruger Super Blackhawk ) that had an obvious sight misalignment. The factory fixed it.

If the sight is off that much, it will bother you everytime you pick that rifle up.

This is something that can be fixed by any competent gunsmith but seeing as how it is new then Remington should be made to stand behind their warranty. The fix is simple. Either the barrel is over-rotated into the receiver in which case they use shims to take up the slack and re-tighten. Or, it is under-rotated in which case they need to cut the treads a little longer to allow it to seat further.

After doing that, they then have to adjust the headspace and ream the chamber if necessary.

Thanks for the info

I just called Remington and will send it back. They are sending me the UPS label. They can't give a time frame for the fix - two weeks bare minimum to who knows depending on the job. Fortunately, its winter now and deer season just ended.

Back