remington 700 adl varmit 5.56?

223 and 5.56 are 2 different names for the same thing. Military rifles are usually designated 5.56 while civilian versions are typically stamped 223. You will never have an issue in your bolt rifle using either. Some guys get all worked up because some Military 5.56 "can be" loaded to slightly different specs. What they don't realize is that if you walk into any gun store and pick up several boxes of 243, 308, 30-06 or any other chambering from several different manufacturers it too is loaded to different specs that vary just as much as the difference between some 5.56 and some 223.

At times you may find a brand of ammo that may not work well with an individual gun. But the same can be said of any other chambering. They just don't have different names for those. We could easily have 3-4 different names for 30-06 since it is loaded to such wide ranges of pressures and varying guns have such different chamber dimensions. This is actually far more of a concern, yet it doesn't seem to cause any issues. This is usually simply a matter of reliable function in auto's. Not much of an issue with a bolt gun.

i am asking i ahve used the search bar and tyrign to find the actuaql diffrences as i am into my own reloadign and i can fire the 5.56 out of my ar and reload with soemthing diffrent to get consistancy out of the 3,000 rounds i have?

Aahhhh sooo, if you reload your own, then just resize them all the same, trim to all the same length and seat bullets to a consistantly depth that works well in both guns, you should be fine.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about shooting factory ammo.

I'm not aware of any manufacturer making 5.56 dies so there is no issue. Everything you load your own will end up being .223 anyway. 5.56 means .223 is safe, but not the other way around.

ok thank you guys i will just sort the few thousand rounds i ahve of factory loads and surplus military brass i aquired over years and shoot the 556 trough the ar and resise to the 223 when i reload and i shoudl all be good then . thank you for the answers and sorry for the newbie question and patience

xracer have you reloaded any brass from your AR to go into your 700 yet? I have the same adl and I'm wondering if the extractor marks from my AR cases are going to have any effect on the expansion in 700

223 5.56 and 5.45x39 are pretty much the same thing.
Just that 223 is pretty much the most accurate one of the 3 so most people use that.

Uhhh... NO!!!

5.56 is NOT the same as 5.45. TOTALLY different case dimensions.

545 will get stuck in the chamber of a 556 rifle due to the case being wider. 556 is too long to chamber in a 545 rifle. DO NOT attempt to interchange these cartridges.

As to 223 vs 556. This topic was beat to DEATH last month. 8 pages IIRC. No real consensus.

But AGAIN heres my take/advice/internet wisdom. Dont mix and match. We know that true 556 barrels have a longer leade/throat in them. Thats one part of being Mil-spec. This allows the bullet to have more freebore before engaging the rifling. This gets a little more velocity at the cost of a bit of accuracy.

By shooting 556 ammo in a 223 barrel, you take away this freebore situation and the pressure spike at firing goes up.

Under the right conditions (hot days), this has led to popped primers. Not always, but enough to be a concern. Said primer ends up in the FCG and sometimes ties up the gun.

Anyway... Dead horse. Search the threads here and read till your hearts content. Make up your own mind. As for me. I wont mix 223 and 556

Back