Remington 700 ADL to BDL build

mxsailor803

Hey guys! Been gone awhile. I recently picked up a 700 .243 ADL that I am wanting to a classic throw back to the 60-80's BDL. So as you can guess, it's a Tupperware stock rifle. No clue about the trigger and don't care to test it. I'm swapping a Timney I already have into it. It's currently setup with Leupold one piece base and Med 1" rings. Right now I'm currently looking for a stock. I "built" one through Boyd's earlier today and it was around $260. I would rather have a original Remington stock though. Anybody have one they are willing to part without? I've still got to order me a Leupold VX-2 or -3, waiting for Black Friday. Hopefully the ADL to BDL conversion kit that Brownells have will be back in stock eventually. Anyone else do a similar build with a ADL?

You can usually find BDL stocks on ebay for $100-$150-ish, I bought a brand new wood stock about a year ago for $135 plus shipping.

To convert a ADL to BDL, you need a magazine box and a floor plate assembly. You will have to shorten the rear action screw by about 1/32". The "kit" sold by Brownells has the box and floor plate and a small mag box retainer screw that holds the mag box to the action. It also has a new magazine spring and follower which you really don't need, just use the old ones.

I'd look for a walnut ADL stock and forget the BDL conversion. I never liked the look of the BDL anyway and Remington bottom metal isn't all that great anyway. I honestly think the older ADL's were the better rifle. I'd put the money saved on the BDL conversion into better glass or more ammo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-M...859679?hash=item1ebad9dfdf:g:5V0AAOSwCGVX6sTr

I bet you can find a better stock at a better price than this with a little looking. It is just the 1st short action ADL stock I found on E-bay. I'd look on one of the gun sites or the classifieds on this and other forums.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ADL wood stocks but would rather have the swing open hinge plate and a Ebony forend tip of the BDL. Not worried about ammo since I reload for .243 for my 788 already. As for optics, it's not a long range bench rifle or SHTF rifle. Think, throw back to the 70-80's hunting rifle.

Back