Remington 700 ADL Question

bshefa

I just purchased a Rem 700 ADL and the gun functions and looks great, however when I was cleaning it today I noticed a small approx 2 mm hole on the outside of the barrel where the chamber is. I looked at the downloadable parts list and this hole is shown but nothing is shown to go in it. What is this for?

Do you mean the hole is on the receiver near the barrel? That's a safety device. It creates a weak spot so in the event of a catastrophic case failure, the receiver will blow out to the side, instead of all that metal being blown into your face.

I thought it was designed to just release gas pressure in the event of a casing breach but the area itself is otherwise not weak but fortified. :confused:

Well I figured at the rate gas will be expanding from the bitty hole it would blow the receiver. But that's just an assumption I came up with after looking at it. Maybe it would hold together? Only one way to find out...

If a case ruptures it vents most of the gas out the side instead of back into the shooters face. I say most, because I've had it happen a couple of times. Wear eye protection when shooting.

Back