Remington 700 ADL problem

snowman748

Ok, I went to the range with my cousin today and he has a new Remington 700 ADL in 270 that he picked up used. Supposed to be Brand New in box (I doubt it)...well we get out to the range and he fires the first round. Gun shoots great UNTIL he tries to work the action and extract the round. After unlocking the gun it just won't open to save our lives. I finally get it open, load a new round, shoot, everything is great until we unlock the action and try to extract it again. In totally we were only able to get 4 shots off before giving up even trying. I picked the brass up and it looks gouged up pretty bad (I have pictures below) but I'm not sure what would cause this issue. Maybe there is a burr inside the chamber? Maybe the chamber is out of spec? Also what would his options be? Since he didn't buy the rifle new there isn't really any option of a warranty is there? I told him the best bet would be send it back, explain the situation and see what they say. Any more advice? Btw the ammo was Monarch 130 grain brass cased 270.

I'm far from an expert but it looks like there is brass shaved off inside the bolt head. That plus the gouges on the cases, I would contact Remington customer service and see about sending it back.

I'm sure others here will be more helpful.

Stop shooting the Monarch ammo. Its producing high pressure.

Try different ammo. Federal, Remington or Winchester.

Does it eject unfired ammo normally?. I see a bit of rust inside the action near the chamber, it might just need a good cleaning.

It ejects unfired brass just fine. Only issue is when it's been fired which is why I figured there might be a burr in the chamber?

I would either send it off to Remington or have a good smith look at it. From the sound and look of it there isn't t anything you will be able to do.

Headspace off, chamber out of spec, or just very rough. It's a problem plaguing Remington more often of late.

I'd give it a careful and thorough cleaning, especially the bore, the chamber and the magazine follower (and, of course, the bolt and the rest of the action.) I'd then try some different ammunition.

Have your cousin contact whoever the rifle was purchased from, and have him have a "nice" chat with that seller... That would be a good start on the situation, IMO.

I'd clean the rifle and use some "domestic" commercial ammo-Rem, Win, Fed, or Hornady. The "surface scratches aren't the problem, nor is the residue from the bullets contacting the feed ramp.

For sure try different ammo and clean it before sending it off.

I use a lot of PPU brand for hogs since its cheap. It chambers and ejects (after firing) differently than most "name brand" ammo does in the same gun.

If that doesnt work then Id have a good smith look at it. I would not send it back to Remington if it was mine. May be as simple as turning a reamer a couple of turns to get rid of a small burr.

The gouges on those cases don't look like gouges at all to me. They look more like scratches from the mag box raceway on feeding and quite normal for this gun. Photos of the case heads would be helpful... do they have swipe marks or ejector prints, flattened/cratered primers? If not, probably not a pressure issue. Also yes the rust in the lug recess is an indicator that there might be some "texture" in the chamber. Chuck a cleaning rod section in a drill and spin a 410 bronze brush in there with some gun cloth wrapped around it. Do not go deep enough to get it into the leade.
-SS-

Put me in the "clean the rifle and try different ammo first" camp.

I have a 700 ADL in 270 and mine leaves the scratches on the cases too. I improved this by beveling and sanding the edge of the mag box where it meets the feed ramp. It still scratches cases but not as bad as before. There was quite a jagged edge on the mag box before I improved it.

I am the owner of 4 700's and never experienced that before. I do get the scratches on the newest 700 but it ejects just fine.

Try different ammo.

I'm in with Ride Red. The scratches appear to be from the edge of the box magazine, distorting the brass, so when it fires, the deformations on the brass are jammed into the chamber, so extraction is difficult. Clean the chamber carefully with a brass bore brush and examine for any imperfections.

At the range, chamber a round without using the magazine, just drop it in the chamber or push it in with your fingers. If it fires/extracts normally. The problem is the magazine and/or sharp action edges.

(You may or may not get satisfaction by sending the rifle to Remington.)

Smooth the top edges of the magazine box and action edges with a file, emery paper, and/or Moto-Tool. Try chambering dummy rounds and smoothing until there are no scratches.

Everything should be good.

Picher

My R700 when new also suffered from "sticky bolt". The hotter the load the worse the jam was. I used a cordless drill , a nylon 45 cal cleaning brush and some lapping compound and polished the chamber. After that the jammimng was minimal but still ocassionally would get an extraction problem. Now after about 2000 rounds through my rifle the extraction problems are almost gone. Try a gentle polish on your chamber. I'm thinking you have some new machining burrs in the chamber.

I think the last two posts are the most accurate. I would do exactly what Picher suggests, especially cleaning up the bottom of the action rails. Look at them with a magnifying glass and you'll see the problem. I would get a chamber brush and polish the chamber with some bore polish on it just to clean it up. Use a drill. I have polished those rails on some big magnums and they were doing what yours is, same 700.

Check your primers for indication of high pressure. The primers will be flattened if they were.

BTW, I'd pull the barrel off, put it in a lathe and polish the chamber. My instructor would ream me out for not polishing the chamber mirror bright.

Back