Remington 700 adl help

4whln

I have a remington 700 adl in .270 that I am putting a new stock on, and I would like to change it over to a bdl while I have the stock off. Are any of the parts interchangeable? Or is it cheaper to buy brownells adl to bdl kit? Also, I would like to either pillar bed it or glass bed it while its apart. Which is better? I'm putting a boyds ross thumbhole on it. This will be for mixed target shooting and hunting, nothing over 500yds.

You can do it, but it would be cheaper to sell your rifle and buy a BDL than make the conversion. I'd leave it ADL.

Brownell's has a conversion kit.

I looked at an ADL and a BDL at Cabella's awhile ago. They were $100 apart in price ($75 on a sale day).

The Brownell's conversion kit is about $140 (NOT including a new stock)

Unless you're just wanting a BDL i agree i too would leave it ADL. I've had a couple ADL models that would flat out shoot. If you want to accurize it a little i'd glass bed the action, float the barrel and tweek the trigger if it's heavy. Good Luck. Mike

I've gotten the trigger adjusted to about 2.5lbs, so thats nice, but today me and my buddy were shooting on our little homemade range here and I couldn't get it to shoot any more than a 3 inch group. I shot one group with hornady superformance and the other with federal power-shok. They both shot the same size group. Would pillar or glass bedding help that, and how much? I had kind of already talked myself out of changing it over earlier, but I figured if it doesn't cost that much, then I'd just do it. It's not really worth $140 to me right now.

Well let's see Changing over to ADL...

Find someone who is selling lower metal with follower and internal mag: $45-$60

Find Lower metal / Drop box Mag system: $250-350

Finding a stock that's FULL bedded block (H&S) : $175-$300
OR
Finding a Pillar bedded stock : $100-$175

Do the work yourself $0

Ammo selection on .270 is fun. I went with 150 gr. ammo held tighter groups

All things being equal , an ADL is apt to shoot better than a BDL , because of the stock being stiffer . If it were me , I'd Glass bed the ADL stock and float the barrel . Pillars are an option too ! If groups didn't tighten up afterwards , I'd reinstall the pressure point at the forearm tip and try again . Most stocks can be made into the solid platform required for accuracy . In your case , why not spend a little money to make it better , as opposed to buying a new stock and have to do the other work anyway ? I've yet to hear anything positive about the accuracy of Hornady Superformance Ammo ! I'd suggest finding the ammo it likes best , and go from there when testing your modifications .

I couldn't get it to shoot any more than a 3 inch group. I shot one group with hornady superformance and the other with federal power-shok. They both shot the same size group.

At what distance is this group? Did it shoot better groups before with the same ammo? Or different ammo?

Most rifles I have are picky of which bullet it likes to shoot accurately. My ADL Varmint .223 likes Hornady 55 gr V-max and SP. Groups with Rem, Federal, Winchester, and other brands don't group as well.

So before you start changing stock, find the ammo it likes first.

Yep, I can't get any accuracy out of the Superformance stuff either, however the Custom stuff from Hornady works great. If it were mine, ( and I do have one in the guncase) I'd try Rem Corelokts in the 130 grn, see if that don't fill the bill, because that bullet has more dead critters kilt, than almost anything else!;) (or do yourself a favor and mail it to me;))

I have not tried the Superformance since I handload everything I shoot these days, but I love the Hornady bullets. I think the faster ammo is more about energy on target than better accuracy. As a handloader I have learned that more velocity does not automatically = better accuracy. Sometimes you have to slow down to get the best group. But here we start talking about hunting bullet vs target bullets, and for hunting one might sometimes be willing to sacrifice some accuracy for more energy delivered to the target. A target shooter is after tiny groups and does not worry about how much hydrostatic shock the paper absorbs.:p The hunter may be satisfied with a 5" group at 300 yds with a bullet certain to cause a large critter to tip over and snort blood.

I seem to get better results loading 150gr for my 270 while my 223 700 ADLwith 1:12 barrel likes 50gr V Max better than any other bullet I have tried. BTW that 700 still has the factory plastic stock with the barrel pressure point at the fore end. I put a match spring kit in the original trigger and it shoots well enough at the range and prairie dog pasture that I have not pursued any further improvements.

Just for giggles, try Remington 130 grain Core-Locts. They're not expensive, but should group around 1 1/4" in a decent rifle.

I assume you've tightened stock screws, scope mount and base screws and that you're shooting off a very stable front and rear benchrest setup, not over a rolled blanket on a pickup hood.

If the Core-Locts don't shoot as well as you'd like, try loosening the stock screws and holding the forend with one hand and barrel with the other move the barrel side to side and lift it slightly and do it again. If the action moves in the stock, it may need glass bedding. To see if bedding will help, you can put a couple of layers of electrical tape on the sides of the action at about 4 and 8 o'clock (analog) and see if it fits tighter. If it does, tighten it down, take it out to the range and shoot it. If it shoots better, consider glass and pillar bedding and free-floating the barrel.

Back