Remington 700 action question

johnhj

Inactive
Im about to buy a 308 for long range shooting. The gunsmith at scheels will rebarrel and work on the action for me so i am looking into a used 700. I would like this to be built on a 700 action but i am just not sure what i need to get. I think what i need is just a used sps, correct me if this is not the way to go. So will any 700 short action work for a 308 as long as i am getting it rebarelld? If i found an sps in 243 or 300wsm or any short action caliber will that work for my purpose.

Thanks

Yes. I know the bolt face would be right and the 243 is based of the 308. Should work just fine. Not any short Action will work If it was a 223. I would not work the bolt face would be to small.

BTW why a 700 action ? Mausers are cheapper and stronger actions.

BTW why a 700 action ? Mausers are cheapper and stronger actions.

Probably because 700's are the most common these days to use for building long-range type rifles. I also would prefer a Mauser if I were building one for myself, but so many smiths build on the 700 that it's very often the easiest way to go for a good rifle.

model 700

i have a model 700 in a 30-0-6 and 375 rum with a little custom work in the 375 i think it is the best of the best but why 308 and not a 300 rum of 338 edge for long range or even 375 rum very underrated long range round very predictable but just my opnion

A 700 action in .300 WSM will also not work for the .308. The bolt face is too large. You will need a rifle chambered for .22-250 Rem, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts, 7mm Mauser, 7mm-08 or, of course, .308 Win. Depending on which caliber you get, the feeding rails and /or feeding ramp may need to be altered for flawless feeding.

This does not really address your question, but I would shop around before going to Sheel's. I am sure there smith is good, but there prices are crazy from what I seen. One time I was selling some guns so I thought I would give them a try. I was in no hurry nore did I need the money. One was a Browning 22 auto mint shape, one was a Browning 22mag A bolt that they dont make anymore with a 3x9x40mm Leaupold scope it had about 200 rounds thru it, and the last one was a Ruger No 1 Tropical in a .416 Rem Mag, with a 3x9x50mm Leupold scope in almost perfect shape. They offered me 600.00 for all of them. At first I thought it was a joke. I told the man one of the scopes was worth that much alone. He said the scopes really did not matter. They would not even make another offer. I packed up my stuff, and left. On the way home I stopped at Gander Mountain just to see what they would do. They offered me I believe it was 1,300.00 the first time, we reached a point we were both happy with. They came out good, and so did I. I know you can not pay the exact price there going for but 600.00 bucks for three perfect rifles with Leupold scopes on them was a joke.

What does what they were willing to give you for your used guns have to do with how much they are going to charge him for the gun smith work........:confused:

To the OP what kind of MOA are you wanting this rifle to shoot?

Back