Remington 700 .308 Win to .243 Win

Jhedges

I have been considering getting a custom barrel for my Remington 700 .308 and i have been looking at changing to a .243. Now with that said, would it be easier in the long run to get a custom barrel job on a .243 for the 700, or sell the 700 and use that money to get a custom barrel from Match Grade Machines for my Encore Pro Hunter in a .243? Either way I would like to get a .243.

My problem with my Remington 700 is that it is the VTR from 3 years ago and it has been giving me around 1 inch groups and they seem to grow everytime i go to shoot, not to mention im not to fond of the barrel. Ive switched from Several different brands of ammo.

I just want to know what COULD be the best route for me.

I'd sell it and buy your MGM barrel. Gettting your M700 rebarreled will cost more than the MGM barrel in the long run. With most barrel jobs on bolt actions around here you can get to $600 pretty easily with a barrel swap.

You need to decide what you want, a single shot or a repeater. Then you can decide whether to sell the 700VTR or redo it.

A full custom barrel replacement will run you $600-$800 by the time it is installed. The MGM Encore barrel is $350. But for about $100 you can buy an Adams & Bennett barrel, another $150 will have it installed and ready to go on the 700. For another $50 you can GunKote it. $300 for the upgrade you are looking for, and selling that VTR barrel will pay for part of it.

A&B barrels are not match grade, but they are far better than factory barrels. I have used A&B barrels on several builds and have been surprised by the level of accuracy for the modest cost. A 22-250 that will put 50 (fifty!) rounds well inside of an inch, a 243 that apparently won't shoot more than 1/2 MOA, and a 308 that just stacks the rounds right on top of each other. You won't win any benchrest matches with one, but they shoot better than most shooters.

Scorch, would it be the better route to get rid of the VTR and order a Remington 700 VLS or just get the MGM barrel? The thing i want is accuracy first and foremost, i like bolt action rifles, and i also like my Encore Pro hunter single shot. i just want whats going to be the most accurate. i know they both would be and i could work up handloads to make them deadly but i like the idea of two seperate guns, rather than barrels but i just want to know more on the 700 VLS.

A Rem 700VLS should be plenty accurate. My brother has a 700VLSS and it is superbly accurate. You have to keep in mind that you are going to lose money if you sell your 700VTR, so a barrel replacement would give you the accuracy you want without losing money by selling the rifle and buying a new one. But it's up to you, sell and buy or just rebarrel. I personally prefer a bolt action over almost any single shot, so for me it would be a no-brainer.

I just went through a barrel change on my Rem 700 and am not up to doing that for quite a while. The process too way too long and cost the same as buying another rifle.

My suggestion: Put the rifle/caliber you want on layaway, if possible and sell the other rifle only if you need to.

Barrel choice?

Ditto on the MGM Encore barrels. I got mine in 6mm Rem. and it is literally a real tack driver and saved me money in the long run for building a custom rifle.
The MGM barrels cost more than regular Encore barrels but they are the "Cat's Meow" when it's all said and done. Don't get no better......... :)

Thank you all for the help, Im going to do some real thinking about the VLS or the MGM barrel but i am going to sell the VTR with the original stock, and sell the HS stock seperate because if i buy the VLS im not putting that stock on that VLS the Laminated wood stock looks so much better. So im gonna do some comparing on whether onr not to buy the VLS or get a custom MGM barrel, but im going to stick with a .308.

Back