Remington 700 .308 Barrel Change

Jhedges

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to change/ replace the barrel on my 700. I bought the VTR in a .308 Win about 2 years ago, and since then, i added a 20 MOA TPS base, a pair of TSR-W Low rings also from TPS, an H.S. Precision Police stock, and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 (which my Fiance got me for my birthday 2 years ago also). I absoloutely love the gun except for the star wars looking barrel. I liked it at the time when i bought it, but now its just So so.

Exactly how much trouble would it be to mount a better barrel on it? Ive found some Shilen Match grade barrels for just under $300 and its kind of what im looking for.

I would like something about 26 inches long, 24 would be fine, Blued, Fluted, and of coarse Bull not standard.

Help!

Last edited:
J,
Why don't you contact Doug Shilen and get him to price out a match setup for you, out of their shop. They do a full line of match work including building barrels. Just cause you mention the Shilen barrel.
http://www.shilen.com/

There are also some champion rifle shooters out and about that are building guns for folks, like Scott Medesha.
http://www.medeshafirearms.com/

I have had both outfits build guns for me, for competition, both produced a fine product that shot very well.
Ed

24-26" barrel isn't going to be a big help on a .308, you can do pretty well with a 22" or shorter barrel. The .308 doesn't need a super long barrel to wring the performance from the cartridge. Just about anyone can put a new barrel your rifle pretty easily, it all depends on what else you have done to the rifle at the same time. If all you really want is a re-barrel, I'd just mail the barreled action off to Pac-Nor and have install it on for you.

I have re-barreled two rifles and they final cost was 600-800. The Shilen 338-06 with a long throat was the 800 job done by Shilen. Even with a short chambered barrel, installing, finishing, and testing will run 300-400 in gunsmith time. BTW, I haven't found a gunsmith in AL that will do the job without buying his barrel. Or, sell your VTR and put it down for a custom job.

Back