remington 700 .243 conversion to .308

i am new to the art of the rifle and found a deal on a remington 700 in .243 i really wanted the .308 but figured since the deal was so good i couldn't pass it up. I was wondering if you guys could help me and let me know if it is possible to convert it to a .308 and if so what i need to do besides change the barrel. if it cant be converted to .308 can it be converted to any other caliber cost effectively. Thanks for all your help

Yes it can be changed to .308, buy the barrel you want and simply let your local smith chamber it for you. The .243, .260, 7mm-08, and .308 all use the same bolt face and can be interchanged by chambering different barrels to the action.

Just out of curiosity why not use the .243 till you wear it out then make the change to .308? Or do you have a specific application you want for the .308?

Blackops is right. The conversion is relatively simple, but I doubt "inexpensive." You'll be paying the price of the barrel, then paying a smith to chamber and install it, etc. I, too, think you should just shoot the heck out of the .243 and think about rechambering after the barrel is shot out (and that will be a while unless you spend a LOT of time at the range). A "good deal" on the .243 won't still be once you've paid for the conversion.

Another vote for having fun with the .243 for a while before moving on to the .308. Besides, by the time you finish the conversion ($$$$$) you could add another penny or two and buy a .308.

Rebarreling most rifles is a gunsmith-only job. With Remingtons, it is more difficult because the factory screws in their barrels super tight.

If you want to try a conversion, pick up a Savage. Almost any person handy with a few tools can rebarrel a Savage.

700 Take Offs

You can pick up a take off barrell on GunBroker or AuctionArms , .308 barrels aren't as plentiful as some of the others , but they're out there . I have a 700 20" .308 barrel with an integral Brake , if you're interested , PM me !

Back