Remington 700 .222 Remington Magnum---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince55

I have a Rem. 700 ADL in .222 Rem. Mag cal. It is a 20 inch bbl. Carbine.
I have never fired it. Anybody familiar with these?
A friend said he thought these were very rare.
Any one know where to get some cases to reload?

Thanks

I don't think those were common, but unless it's close to like-new it's not particularly a collector item.

It oughta be very accurate. The .222 used to be a bench rest competition winner.

You can create exact-fit brass by fire-forming with standard .222 ammo. And, you might check the on-line suppliers of reloading components.

Performance is about like a .223...

Art

Art, NO!

.222 will not fireform to .222 Magnum. It is way too short.
Not even considering what might happen if you put a cartridge with about .020" excess headspace in a push feed action.

Remington still makes the brass, but Midway only has it in stock by the thousand. Sinclair lists is by the hundred; call to see if they really have some.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/

I don't think the rifle is extremely rare, but if your friend were to offer you a lot of money for it...
Remington went through a short barrel phase about that time and I had a 20" 6mm BDL. But the .222 Magnum is kind of dead, obsoleted by the .223 and nobody shoots 6x47 any more to need the brass.

.222 Rem. Magnum---

I have a lot of .222 brass and have fire formed a few wildcat .243 Super
Rockchucker from .30-06 and .270 cases, but I wouldn't venture that.
I agree it's too short. The .222 M is a better ctg that the .223 for
handloaders because of the increased capacity and longer neck. In factory
loads the .222 M is loaded down slightly.
I'll try to find some .222 M cases and start reloading for it.

Thanks for the help.

An old friend had one with a 4 digit serial # and no letters. It was a carbine also, and one of the most accurate rifles I've ever seen. It took some research to get loads that would shoot into one ragged hole at 100, but he did. Try new brass, go completely through all steps of case prep, and try IMR 4320. He shot Sierras, but yours might like something else. There is new brass for sale, and many good bullets available that weren't 35 years ago. Enjoy. CB.

The 222 and the 222 Magnum are two different cartridges. The 222 Magnum is much like today's 223, only with a longer neck.
From a design point of view, the 222 Magnum is better than the 223.
For 222 Mag brass, there is some to be had. Just search Natchez and Huntington (RCBS). They may have it.

Martyn

I stand corrected. Thanks. I had thought that the difference was in blowing out the shoulder, same OAL but shorter neck.

Edit-add: I got curious, and went to the Hodgdon book and found: "...shooters who own rifles in this caliber would be wise to stock up on cases and factory ammunition. If Remington should someday decide to discontinue this cartridge, the only case that can be reformed to .22 Remington Magnum configuration is the terribly expensive 5.6x50mm case of European origin."

Art

If the need arises, I don't think reforming brass to 222 magnum will be difficult, because the 204 ruger is based on that. I know you can form 204 from 222mag, so you should be able to do the reverse.

I'd found that out also about the .204 / .222 Mag cases.
Mine is s/n 101xx--- looks like it was made in the early 60's
and is 98-99 % cond. I noticed in an old Blue Book to add
50 % for the carbine version in .222 Magnum.
I have an old manual that shows over 3700 fps with the
40gr Spitzer bullet. With equal powders it seems to better
the .223 by 100 plus feet per second.
I'm guessing the reason the military chose the .223 is because it's
a little shorter. I think they'd have been much better off in Viet Nam
with what they're beginning to use now ---the 6.8 SPC.
I don't like a varmint round for combat.
By the way I've found more cases that I'll ever need from several
distributors.

Thanks to everybody for all the help and information.

Remington 700 222 Reminton Magnum

How can I tell if my rifle is a bdl or adl?
I need to order some parts to make it safe.

Be advised--that rifle is worth a LOT of $$. DO NOT modify or damage such a low production rifle. As a collector firearm, this would trade for most any .223 on the rack plus a good sized pile of ammo.

Hi, Frank,

Welcome to TFL.

Please don't resurrect an old thread to ask a question that's not really even related to the original posts in the thread.

Post your question in a new thread, with an appropriate title. That way it will get the attention that it deserves.

I'm going to close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back