Remington 600 350 Rem mag anyone?

Catfish25p2000

Hello all! I have a Remington 600 in 350 Rem mag that I have some accuracy questions about. I have run about 30 rounds through it. I know that the 350 rem mag was not made for accuracy, just wandering if anyone has one and if anyone can tell me anything about it? I have had the gun for about 2 years and I love it! I just havent gotten to the bench to really put it too the test for accuracy. Not to mention that after about 5 rounds with it, you start to wear down - and it is pretty expensive to shoot. I do reload for it, so I'm sure I could work up a good load for it. Just wandering what you guys might know about what kind of groups I may be able to put up with it?

Nice Carbine!

My friend has had one since about 1972. As I recall it was fun to shoot. Real kicker though! He used to shoot 1.5 inch groups all day at 100 yards. I believe that was with the discontinued Rem 250 gr Cor-lokts though. Since you handload I suggest 200 gr bullets with 58-60 grains of 4320.
The only problem with your rifle is that .358 Win and .35 Wheland match or exceed your rifles velocity with the 250's in 22' barrelled rifles currently in production. Have fun!
:D

Rem 600... let's see, dogleg bolt, sharkfin front sight...

Since you reload for it I expect you can get MOA or better. Don't be afraid to load up some 158 gr .358 pistol bullets for a reduced recoil load. You can plink all afternoon long or even have a moderate range varmint/deer load that way.

Jimro

Great gun!

On my wish list. Interested in selling?
I have several Model 600s, in .222 Rem, .243 Win, and .308 Win. Great guns! They are not bench guns. They are not target guns. They are hunting guns, made to be carried alot and shot a little.

The very light barrel contour gets warm very fast. The more you shoot, the bigger the groups get, generally. I prefer 3 shot groups as a measure for these rifles, face it, how often are you going to get shots 4 or 5 if the first three didn't connect?

1.5" groups are good for these rifles. Sometimes they will do better, but you can't count on it. You can tailor handloads, and maybe do better, but MOA is not something you can guarantee, especially with these light carbines. In .350, you got a real bruiser there. Play with different bullet weights, you might find one that the rifle really loves, or you might not. A couple of mine go almost MOA, with the right loads, and another only about 1.5", but that one puts 150, 165, and 180gr bullets about an inch apart, point of impact shift at 100yds!

The only problem with your rifle is that .358 Win and .35 Wheland match or exceed your rifles velocity with the 250's in 22' barrelled rifles currently in production.
Its not a problem with his rifle!
The .358 Win, loaded top end matches the .350 Mag (barely), but needs a 22 inch barrel to do what the .350 does with the Model 600's 18.5 inch tube!
The .35 Whelen will beat the .350 by about 100fps with the 250gr bullet, but also needs a 22" tube to do it, and doesn't fit in a short action. So the rifle must be longer and heavier than the model 600 to perform as well (.358) or slightly better (.35 Whelen).

Thanks for the info guys. I am not going to be selling this one. I think it is my favorite "every once in a while" rifle! I love how light and compact it is and they have beautiful stocks. :D:D

Hello all! I have a Remington 600 in 350 Rem mag that I have some accuracy questions about. I have run about 30 rounds through it. I know that the 350 rem mag was not made for accuracy, just wandering if anyone has one and if anyone can tell me anything about it?
Huh? :confused:

A Remmy 600 should be plenty accurate, if you understand the hunting context for an 18” carbine. And in .350RM you’re talking about the world’s first short-action magnum.

It’s a short-range affair, same distances and same environs in which you’d use a big-bore lever action: dense bushy thickets and heavy timber areas. Great homesteader’s carbine for a remote cabin in the Alaskan boonies.

With iron-sights, shots are anywhere from point-blank to maybe 100yds. Maybe 150yds with a low-magnification optic (1x-4x). It was never intended to be a sniper rifle.

Supposedly the 600’s barrel was pre-channeled (floated) at the factory, but my gunsmith cleaned mine up and it shoots fine. MOA and some sub-MOA with handloads.

Pity is, in the years since I posted in this thread, I have acquired a 660 Magnum in .350 Rem.

Great rifle, and for sure as one writer once put it, kicks hard, on both ends! :D

Back