Remington 597

leedesert

I just purchased this gun for my son. I bought it in the 22LR with synthetic stock. It's a little heavy for my 9yr old bought he will grow into it with time (a week at his rate). Is this a good 22 for the money ($119 after rebate)? I looked at the 10/22 but at $230 for synthetic stock I was under funded.
I also mounted a daisy red dot optical sight to help him hit targets easier in the begining. As he improves I will graduate him to regular sights and then a scope. Is this a good plan or should I reconsider.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I am no expert, so this is purely my opinion.
I taught my children to shoot open sights first. I think that this teaches lessons on shooting that may be hard to learn if you use a scope first. (Focusing on the front sight is the most important I can think of right now.) Kind of like learning to drive an automatic and then trying to learn a standard. The only time I let a new shooter use a scope or red dot sight is if their eyes are too poor to focus well enough to use open sights. Again, this is just my opinion and there are others on this board who are much more qualified to answer this question.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

I'm with Halffast on this. Teach the basic's first... Open Sights! This for a few reasons.

It will require more work but when achieved the results will be better appreciated. Also, what happens when the scope breaks or the batteries run out.

It is like learning to ride a two wheeler... you don't start out with a small motorbike, you start with a pedalbike. Why... to learn the basics.

I taught my olders to shot using my AR. She is only now starting to work with a scope.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

leedesert - I'm of the same opinion as Halffast and Gunny - start your boy (or any new shooter) out with iron sights first. Basics such as learning how to obtain a proper sight picture are very important.

Also, the 597 is a semi-auto. My preference for new shooters is a bolt action. New shooters are on a steep learning curve what with learning safe handling procedures, sighting, breathing and trigger control, etc. Additionally, with a bolt action, the new shooter will learn the good habit of making the FIRST shot count.

I think you're a Good Dad for taking the time and interest to teach your son to shoot at his age. I doubt that he'll ever forget it.

I was taught at that age, and I sure didn't!
smile.gif

Cliff

Thanks guy's. After considering your views I may change my opinion. I thought that the red dot would give him some early confidance with the rifle. It's just a bit heavy for him so controling the front sight movement is difficult unless supported. I agree though that he should learn the basic rifle first before any doohickies are added.

Another question.
What is a good distance to adjust the sights to? I thought 50 yds but I'm not sure.

Let me know if the 597 is a good gun or do I need to look out for certain things.

Thanks again.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Thank you for doing this for your son. He is probably one young man our society will not have to babysit for the rest of his life.
You have done a nice thing.
My opinion is similar. Open sights first.
Just an opinion! As to the question about the 597, I own one and it is every bit as accurate as my 10/22 was if not more so, and I feel a great value. The magazines are a little hard to load properly, but once that is learned, it is very reliable. Enjoy this time with your son, and I know I don't need to tell you this, but safety safety safety!

------------------
" But when you've been granted the privilege of being heard, take great care with this power and watch every word"
Black Oak Arkansas

For a novice shooter, it does have some benefit over the Ruger. Last shot bolt hold open, easier to load the mags, and simpler insertion/withdrawl from the rifle. A set of peep sights could easily be mounted on the scope rail, to teach the aperture sight picture.\
I sold mine because I couldn't handle the "Mattel toy" style trigger. The Ruger is MUCH better in that regard, though some folks still gripe about it.
frown.gif
The available accessories for the 10/22 doesn't hurt, either.
smile.gif

Back