Remington 597 .22 rifle - opinions?

CMOS

I saw this rifle in a sproting goods store today. It is made in .22 and .22WMR calibers and comes with a 10 round magazine.

Do any of you shooters have one that you could comment on?

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA and vote.

CMOS,
I've owned one in .22lr for about 6 months now. With open sights, it seemed to shoot really well. So, I went and bought the cheapest scope I could find($9.96) and mounted it. After sighting it in with some cheap ammo, I ran some pricey Eley ammo thru it to see how the groups tightened up. At 25 yards I was making a single ragged hole with a 5 shot group with two different types of ammo. I was a little surprised when the target rolled back to me and I saw this type of accuracy with a inexpensive rifle like this. Taking it apart to clean it is easy enough, but putting the springs for the bolt back in can be a little tricky. I have had what I consider a slight problem with jamming and FTF's, but I think it's mostly the cheap ammo I have used. All in all, I really like the gun and would buy it again without a thought.
BB
NRA/GOA

I concur with Billy Boy. Slight differences; I found a scope for $6.96, and did not use expensive ammo. But I hit every can I saw at about 60-70 yds. I was happy.

I have not had one malfunction with this rifle. I also bought a Ruger 10/22 at the same time, and that has jammed on me lots of times, and is much much harder to take apart and put back together. I do prefer the open sights on the 10/22, though, which is why the scope is on the 597.

I, too, would highly recommend this rifle.

othermarc, do you have the .22 or the .22WMR rifle?

I'm not sure if I want to get the .22 or the 22WMR caliber. Marlin has a nice autoloader rifle with a 14 shot tubular magazine, for under $200. I have to admit, I'm leaning towards the Marlin but I wanted to check out this Remington first.

Decisions decisions...

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA and vote.

I had one and I hated it. It shot very good groups, and was very nice to carry. It would FTF though after about 50 rounds no matter what kind of ammo. In my experience it cruds up too easily and fails to fire. Sold it and bought a Marlin 880SQ. Love it. Springs on the Remington are a (expletive for female dog) to get back in.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

Back