Remington 512 feed problem

Lavan

I still have my first gun. I...think....it is the 512. It is a tube mag bolt .22 and old enough that they didn't even serial number em.

Well, I never abused it and it is still near mint. I...did...refinish the stock with hand rubbed oil and added sling swivels and it looks so fine as a "pretty" old gun.

But, it hangs up feeding cartridges from the tube. Only SOMETIMES.....aaargh. I see no galling or nicks on the carrier thingies that scissor up and down and have cleaned them and they seem to work just fine.

Any suggestions of where to look next?

Would like to give it to a grandson but really would like to get it working like new.

It seems to pick up the shell and then jam the nose back down and stick. Other times it works just fine.

???????

I have been working on some brethren:
Rem 510 and 511.

I bought them at gun shows. I like to fix them up.

My best group is .2", 5 shots at 50 yards [typical 1" with that ammo].

I have had a real challange doing trigger jobs on them. They are easy to reblue. I have cast and re worked the butt plates.

There is a screw adjustment on the port side of the weapon which will affect the feeding. IIRC, there are either 2 or 3 screws, and the one you'll want to adjust has stake marks on it. As old as it is, you may want to make the adjustment to where it functions correctly, then restake the screw so it doesn't back out on you.

I have egg on my face.....

...and probably in the gun too. Thanks all who responded.
David, I found the screw and adjusted it. Never knew what that screw was for. Could feel the changes and tried a few positions. But it suddenly changed its problem. Now it started not allowing the bolt to come all the way back. I could force it and override whatever was holding it.
I noticed a groove in the mag follower was empty and took the outer tube off to see if maybe a friction spring was jammed in there. Nope.
Finally, I looked into the action, saw nothing amiss and just out of frustration DRENCHED the action and the bolt in Liquid Wrench.

Presto.....gun fixed. Like new.

And I'm the guy who bought a Luger that was so jammed with old oil that the barrel had to be hammered with a wood block to free it up.

Never thought one of MY precious guns could gunk up. DUH!

Thanks all again.

Back