remington 35cal model ??

rbmccrery

Inactive
I have a Remington 35 cal - how can I determine if it is a model 8 or 81? The serial number is 8786 stamped on the barrell.

Both of these SHOULD be marked as to the model number, but the 81 was marked in a better way, usually with "Woodsmaster 81" on the left side of the receiver; the 8 (and a sub-version, the 8A) should be marked on the barrel jacket. The model 8 was replaced in 1936 by the model 81, so if you know when it was purchased, that could be another clue.

35 rem

thanks for the info- I can't find any markings on the side of the Receiver or Barrell. May be worn off. have no idea about purchase date as gun was passed to me from my father - he acquired it some time in the 50's or early 60's I remember he said it was used as a "police gun" and supposledly is a good Brush gun for close shooting of deer or what ever.

I'm kinda shooting from the hip but IIRC the 8s have a straight stock and the 81s have a pistol grip. the 4 digit serial leads me to beleve it's a model 8 as some 80k were made before the change.

If it was marked the way the 81s I've seen, the markings are too deep to simply wear off, so the odds are you have a model 8. These WERE popular police guns in the 20s and 30s, though, and some were used in the Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde takedowns.

Back