Remington 30-06 rifles

Beezer

I recently inherited a couple of rifles from my grandfather and I am a gun novice, so I have a few questions.

The rifle's are both Remington 30-06's. One is the model 700. The other is the Woodsmaster 742.

1) Is there a good place to find a PDF version of the 742 manual? I'd rather not pay or download additional software to get the manual.

2) I'm not great with gun terms, so please excuse this next sentence. On the 742, the thing (slide, maybe) that you pull back to eject shells sticks and is difficult to pull back. Is this a common issue? If so, is there an easy fix (like oil it up)?

3) I've read that the 742 came in right and left hand models. How do I tell which one I have?

4) On the 700 model, do I need to oil or grease the bolt when I clean the gun?

Pulling on the slide handle retracts the bolt, and if it's on the right-hand side of the rifle (most common), it's a right-hand model.

Difficulty in retraction: It could be that the chamber is dirty, which is a common problem on these rifles. Access for a copper cleaning brush is not all that easy. I'll let somebody with experience explain the how-to. :)

(It just occurred to me that something like the flexible drive cable for the old Corvette fuel injections would be a basis for a tool: Handle on one end, fitting for a cleaning brush on the other.)

On the 700, like any bolt action, I spray some gun oil on a patch and wipe it down. Normally, the only real cleaning is on the face of the bolt where it gets a bit grungy from shooting--and that's rather occasional. Otherwise, basically, any oiling is for prevention of rust.

Pulling on the slide handle retracts the bolt, and if it's on the right-hand side of the rifle (most common), it's a right-hand model.

Difficulty in retraction: It could be that the chamber is dirty, which is a common problem on these rifles. Access for a copper cleaning brush is not all that easy. I'll let somebody with experience explain the how-to.

(It just occurred to me that something like the flexible drive cable for the old Corvette fuel injections would be a basis for a tool: Handle on one end, fitting for a cleaning brush on the other.)

On the 700, like any bolt action, I spray some gun oil on a patch and wipe it down. Normally, the only real cleaning is on the face of the bolt where it gets a bit grungy from shooting--and that's rather occasional. Otherwise, basically, any oiling is for prevention of rust.

Looks like I have the right handed model, which is good. :)

Here is a video of a full strip and clean of a 742 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPSY...e_gdata_playershould give you a good idea what your getting into.

Also contact Remington directly for a manual.

The disassembling looks a little daunting for a first timer. I'm a fairly handy guy (I do a lot of DIY stuff around the house). If I decide to take the whole thing apart to clean it, what sort of bad things can happen? Am I better off taking it to a gunsmith for a full strip and clean until I've had some practice on easier stuff?

Good call on contacting Remington directly. I never even considered that.

Until you get much more experienced with firearms, I would suggest you apply the K.I.S.S. principle, when cleaning your M742:

1) Pull the bolt back with an empty magazine in place to latch it open, and clean/etc the bore.

2) With the bolt forward, tap out the two different-diameter crosspins along the bottom edge of the receiver sides to allow you to pull the trigger group down/out for a shot of an aerosol gun cleaner, then lightly oil the various part's pivots/etc before reseating the TG back into the receiver.

I'll do a +1 on PetahW's advice, adding only that the chamber be cleaned as much as possible (based on the opening comment about difficulty).

Push the bare cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle end. THEN attach a copper bore brush. Rotate while scrubbing back and forth with short pull/push. (Needs a cleaning rod with a fixed handle.)

I recently inherited a couple of rifles from my grandfather and I am a gun novice, so I have a few questions.

Welcome and you've come to the right place. There's enough know how and anecdotal evidence in this place to give you a splitting headache.;)

2) I'm not great with gun terms, so please excuse this next sentence. On the 742, the thing (slide, maybe) that you pull back to eject shellssticks and is difficult to pull back. Is this a common issue? If so, is there an easy fix (like oil it up)?

They just have a very heavy spring. It is a semi-auto 30-06 after all. You'll just have to grow stronger. :D Some oil may smooth it up a little though.

Good luck

Boomer

They just have a very heavy spring. It is a semi-auto 30-06 after all. You'll just have to grow stronger. Some oil may smooth it up a little though.

I thought I was pretty strong. :)

Guess I need to oil up the gun and get out the dumbells!

Back