Remington 22

bobinoh

Inactive
Hello,
I am looking for information as to the value of a Remington model 4.
This is a single shot 22 short or long with a roll block receiver. It brakes in half for storage, fixed sights, v in rear and a blade in front. The barrel is a 8 sided Octagon. This is a very short 22 overall length is 32" as you can see this may have been a child's first gun?
An information that you can give me as to value, manufacturing date, number built would be great.
This was one of the rifles that I recived when my stepfather was put in a nursing home, I think that this was his when he was a very young man.
Thank you
bobinoh

Information on the Model 4 directly from Remingtons site:

Model 4 Rolling Block
Description: Rolling Block Rifle
Introduction Year: 1890
Year Discontinued: 1933
Total Production: Approximately 356,000
Designer/Inventor: F.A. Houghton, J.O. Simpson, O.H. Loomis
Action Type: Single Shot
Caliber/Gauge: 22 short, 22 long, 22 long rifle, 25 Stevens ("25-10"), 32 short, 32 long
Serial Number Blocks: Starting: 00001
Ending: 356,000
Variations: Improved Model 4
No.4S Boy Scout Rifle
No.4S Military Rifle

Value according to Modern Gun Values 14th Ed - $300 - $625.

Remington #4

The condition of the rifle is a major factor in the value. Many of these "boys rifles" have been really beat up during their lifetime. In the take-down rifles, it is important that they still fit together solidly, without any wiggle.
Also, the early cartridges were corrosive, and they often have very poor bores, so they have to be re-lined to make them into a shooter again.
I would agree with the $300 - $600 price range, depending on condition.
Neat little rifle!

Thank you for all the information. This one indicates 22 short and long only.
The serial number is J 3034xx as you see this was produced at the end of the run. The bore looks clean no pitting that I can see. The bluing has been renewed and the stocks refinished, so it looks very good this action may have lowed the value but it makes for a nicer show piece.
Again thanks for you help.

Back