Remington .22 pump - old

Hi, Harley Nolden!

I'm acquiring a Remington .22 pump which has only the "RW" to indicate it is a Remington. No "Remington" stamped anywhere. No place it could have been removed from. The metal is all still factory smooth and the bluing is slightly showing its age. The rifle itself resembles the Model 12. No such marking of that, either.

My local collector and gunsmith friends have concluded it is one of the first ones Remington made. Made in the 1890s. I've also been told it has to be a 1910-20, because of the serial number.

It does have a serial number and a #, but we also know that in the beginning of many industrial endeavors such things were, at times, begun with a number picked from thin air, so to speak.

Please tell me what you know of the late 1800s Remington production as may apply to this rifle.

Thanks.

The first Remington .22 pump was the model 12 made from 1909 - 1936
Serial numbers run from 00001 - 820759

.22 remington pump

thank you varmint. i am famiiar with rimfire central.

thank you hawg. yes, the model 12 was produced in the years as you state.

i have, since my post, learned that my rifle is one of the earlier products, prior to Remington officially introducing the model 12 line. i believe they were still in business with Whitmore. It also has a W.F. Sheard front site, with miniscule letters on its base which just look like lines until you get up close and personal with it.

i suppose you might call it a prototype. i understand there were a small number of them made, popularity test models, so to speak. this rifle belonged to the grandson of its original owner, who acquired it in the late 1800s. the grandson was looking through the photos he has from back then and noticed it in one picture dated 1898.

there are these exceptions in life.

mystery solved.

Snow: I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by the "royal we"..JFC

I think he wants to know if you're Jeff Cooper. Course he's been dead over a year. I hope he wasn't talking about James Fenimore Cooper cuz he's been dead over a century.:rolleyes::D

FWIW, I don't think I have seen any Remington guns that were not marked Remington in some way, though the company had a few changes of name, and I don't know of any pump action .22's made by Remington before 1900. In fact, I can't recall any pump action .22 made by anyone before that except the Winchester Model 1890.

The Whitmore patent shotguns were discontinued around 1880, long before Remington began production of the Model 12 in 1909. The shotguns were not marked "RW"; they were marked "E. Remington & Sons", and "Whitmore's Patent."

I think some good pictures would definitely help.

Jim

Back