Remington 1917

I'm looking at buying a Remington model of 1917. It has a serial number of 597XXX. I am wondering when it was made, and if the barrel is original. It is dated 9-18. Everything I can see is marked with an R, but I didn't disassemble it so I'm not sure if everything is Remington. The stock is not cracked, but has a few nicks and dings. It has a sling dated 1918. What would be a ballpark range for the value of this rifle? I am also wondering about a mark on the end of the stock under the barrel. It is a 15 in a gold-colored circle.

Thanks for your help.

I think your 9-18 date is correct.

Pictures will help but to give you an ideal a couple months ago I paid $700 for this Eddystone.

Besides condition, prices very by location. Not many in my area. I'm happy with mine at the price I paid.

1917%20Enfield.jpg

pics

Thanks for the response. Here are a couple of pictures; I'll post more tomorrow. I am still intersted in what the "15" means.

Attachments

• m1917 15 (640x480).jpg
    m1917 15 (640x480).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 75
  • m1917 pic (640x480).jpg
    m1917 pic (640x480).jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 63
Is that a gold colored circle or a brass disk of some sort? I ask because there were some folks over at another forum that were talking about M1s that had been returned from Denmark (?). These had brass disks of some sort, marking them for inventory or something like that - "hey, Joe, you are issued rifle number 15 today" kind of thing.

Just guessing.

I'm guessing that it was in someone's museum. I have a U.S Navy Remington-Lee Model 1885 with an identical disc attached to the stock, #18.

On the comb of the butt is stamped the word "Philadelphia."

A disc or marking like that is usually a rack or inventory number, maybe from a foreign country, a military academy, or a museum. In any case, it is extremely unlikely it was put on by the U.S. Army while the rifle was in service.

Jim

Full original like you mentioned, in nice condition, should run $500-$700, depending on your local market, your desire to sell, his desire to buy, etc.

A 1917 bayonet is worth about $100 additional.

The 1917 is the rifle that Sergeant Alvin York used.

Back